Red box installation

You can compare or swith them to see if there is a difference or maybe plug the Oem ecu to test if it’s come for the rb

Would be a bugger if I need the OEM ECU, it would be running Lean.
Great thing is I don't need the Bikes for transport but having said that I don't fancy pushing them either, so far when this has happened I have been able to keep it running and get home. Fingers crossed :cool:

To keep you update , the red box has been sent to Sasa in Italy .
I send it to a wrong adress in Roma so he managed to recover the parcel ...
A huge THANK to him for his help and his kindness.

He has reprogrammed the rb without any issues .
The bike run like a charm now , his V6 version is very well balance .
The power delivery is smooth, the idling is perfect and high rpm is reving fast .
We feel the bike run more rich as it should.
Thank for the work .

Concerning the big bore kit , power and torque has increase a lot , especially in the range between 4000 and 5000 rpm, the bike is reving like a mx bike now .
In the other hand i think that the engine has lost the elasticity of the long course due the square course .

I will open a new tread on my feeling about the modifications .

To keep you update , the red box has been sent to Sasa in Italy .
I send it to a wrong adress in Roma so he managed to recover the parcel ...
A huge THANK to him for his help and his kindness.

He has reprogrammed the rb without any issues .
The bike run like a charm now , his V6 version is very well balance .
The power delivery is smooth, the idling is perfect and high rpm is reving fast .
We feel the bike run more rich as it should.
Thank for the work .

Concerning the big bore kit , power and torque has increase a lot , especially in the range between 4000 and 5000 rpm, the bike is reving like a mx bike now .
In the other hand i think that the engine has lost the elasticity of the long course due the square course .

I will open a new tread on my feeling about the modifications .

Hello @stormy, thanks for your feedback!

I’m glad the RB is working properly and that you are enjoying more the bike now!

One question: which map are you running? Map1 or?

Among the lot map1 retains a bit of the “Himalayan character” while the others are snappier!

To which map should we refer your feedback?

The bike is running on Map 3 , so i will try Map 1 on a daily basis to compare

Hello ,
No update
The bike is running on map 3 as they are no difference between maps on my feeling

Have you tried an air filter clean up?
Have you tried to run it without the air filter and the cap (just for a short test ride)?
I mean I rode a Honda 550 once 4000km thru northern Europe without air filter and the engine was fine LOL (in the 70s we where a lot more reckless)

May I inquire where you have bought it? I have no records of selling another one to France.

You should not use the box as is assuming it is in its original state (which of course I dont know because I have no idea how you got it)

First you download the V5 map from here:
Filename: 477 EXPERIMENTAL MAP V5.0 RC.zip
then unzip the map file inside the ZIP container. I dont know what system you use so you have figure that out by yourself.

(Later you can ask @Sasa for the V6 - but get it to run on 5 first to understand the process)

Connect the red box to your bike's harness replacing the stock ECU. Then via USB to your Laptop.

After you connected the red box to your computer via usb cable is the software recognizing the red box? When you click here does it turn green and "on"?
View attachment 816

if YES then you click on Open here:

View attachment 817

select the map file (the one you have just downloaded and extracted from the zip file) by double clicking it

Now the values in the window change (if they don't you did it wrong)

then you click here:

View attachment 819

Now you need to calibrate the TPS value - click on this:

View attachment 820

Open the throttle fully 3 times in a row

Now you should be all set. (I hope I havnt forgotten anything - I have no red box handy at the moment so the last part is from memory)
Thanks for this step-by-step tutorial on how to install the updated software. While it all seems quite straightforward, I am unsure of whether I am required to turn on the power to my Himalayan (turn the key) while I upload to software from my laptop via the USB cable.

Thanks for this step-by-step tutorial on how to install the updated software. While it all seems quite straightforward, I am unsure of whether I am required to turn on the power to my Himalayan (turn the key) while I upload to software from my laptop via the USB cable.
you can take the red box to your computer at home and load the maps there, thats what I have done while I had a BS4. Bigger screen. easier handling. make sure you burn to the eprom the changes before you disconnect.

you can take the red box to your computer at home and load the maps there, thats what I have done while I had a BS4. Bigger screen. easier handling. make sure you burn to the eprom the changes before you disconnect.
Thanks. All went smoothly.

If you just want to upload the software the key can stay off, the laptop will power the RedBOX.

When you have to calibrate the TPS you can turn the key on (NOT THE ENGINE) and do the procedure.

If you just want to upload the software the key can stay off, the laptop will power the RedBOX.

When you have to calibrate the TPS you can turn the key on (NOT THE ENGINE) and do the procedure.
I calibrated the TPS with the key off and saw the throttle position sensor meter move within the software when I did so. The engine runs fine now, but I was wondering if I would have gotten different results on the TPS calibration if the key (and bike 12v power) were on during the calibration process?

I calibrated the TPS with the key off and saw the throttle position sensor meter move within the software when I did so. The engine runs fine now, but I was wondering if I would have gotten different results on the TPS calibration if the key (and bike 12v power) were on during the calibration process?
Please read my message above. I said calibrate the TPS with ign key on, not off.

Engine shall be off, otherwise you'll get to rev limiter on a cold engine, not exactly a nice treatment.

Either way the difference shall be minimal and not significant. I'm glad engine runs fine.

Thanks. The bike runs well as is, so I’ll leave well enough alone. I’m using map1 for break in purposes and I really like the power delivery with that setting. Smooth, lots of low end power. I’m running version 5.

Back