The "Red ECU" thread

So miraculously just the airfilter change (doubtful it did much) plus the removal of the cam made the bike respond normally with one-button-push startup when cold and reasonably well running. Obviously its a bit less than the carby with 477 plus cam but it is still a lot more than stock.
I only ran map2 so far, I did not have time to check the others.

Stock airfilter must be good enough, I got 32.6 using one albeit back to front.
Reinstalling the OEM cam does what? Sets the timing correctly, no it reduces the demand for air flow, all the symptoms of a lean engine, cut out when throttle opened etc.
I'm still wondering about the Technicians :unsure:

Stock airfilter must be good enough, I got 32.6 using one albeit back to front.
Reinstalling the OEM cam does what? Sets the timing correctly, no it reduces the demand for air flow, all the symptoms of a lean engine, cut out when throttle opened etc.
I'm still wondering about the Technicians :unsure:
I totally agree - and I am flabberghasted everyone is so happy with the latest map when it does not work so well on my bike. what could the poor mech do wrong??? even if he wanted - the only thing left is a better spark plug (NGK on order)

Maybe it just needs more fuel - but map2 is the richest of them - I seem to need an even richer one.

So miraculously just the airfilter change (doubtful it did much) plus the removal of the cam made the bike respond normally with one-button-push startup when cold and reasonably well running. Obviously its a bit less than the carby with 477 plus cam but it is still a lot more than stock.
I only ran map2 so far, I did not have time to check the others.
I believe the symptoms you described could be also connected to an excess of fuel.

If airfilter was clogged for any reason, the change would make a substantial difference…

Moreover, the map you’re running now is not optimized for a bike without a cam,@sam2019 I suggest you try map3 in this configuration, it should feel/respond better

I believe the symptoms you described could be also connected to an excess of fuel.
Unlikely as the depressing of the "choke" lever makes the bike run better

If airfilter was clogged for any reason, the change would make a substantial difference…
the air filter we used when the bike would not even start (OEM type) was new - so no. the one we use now is not new (Schorl type) but had been cleaned.

Moreover, the map you’re running now is not optimized for a bike without a cam,@sam2019 I suggest you try map3 in this configuration, it should feel/respond better
today we do a longer trip and will go thru all of the maps.

Unlikely as the depressing of the "choke" lever makes the bike run better

the air filter we used when the bike would not even start (OEM type) was new - so no. the one we use now is not new (Schorl type) but had been cleaned.
Seriously you seem to be deaf.
That choke thingy adds air!!!!!!
So if it is too rich then using the choke thingy would add air.
and it would. run Better.

Seriously you seem to be deaf.
explain how me being deaf or not has anything to do with me thinking choke adds fuel - as it does in a carb.

That choke thingy adds air!!!!!!
So if it is too rich then using the choke thingy would add air.

ok, thanx for the info

so the T4 should work better - right?

Your right it doesent!
Worst thing about the lever on the handlebars is that its there!, Same spot and same style as a Choke, the other end also looks the Enricher valve used on the Carby though not seen by most.

So its the opposite theory to a Cold Carbed Bike that needs more Fuel.
In theory the EFI system is , at cold giving extra fuel as per the "ECT Comp Inj" table that @Sasa was explaining a while back.
So the dopey lever adds more air, a job done by a servo motor mostly the IAC .

"T4" ??

Map no 4 - Sasa calls it T4

also note that I have almost never driven the BS4 - I have driven the BS3 extensively and since then the BS6, The BS4 was on rent and after that stalled with broken frame.

I would be using a later Map, I have only an edit of map 4 so dont know if its the same as yours .
So you are using V5 map T4 ?

I'm fortunate to have no 'lever' to play with :cool:
Just get the Meteor Switch Gears and you guys can be cool too! Gotta admit that they are much better feeling, and seem way better built than OEM Himmi offers...
B

explain how me being deaf or not has anything to do with me thinking choke adds fuel - as it does in a carb.

ok, thanx for the info

so the T4 should work better - right?
T4 is going to be probably too lean.

I already told which map you should try, that’s T3, which is the leanest of the “normal” three. T4 on a 477 at lower altitudes it’s still too lean.

About air and: use a clean filter and remove the snorkel from the airbox, otherwise the air path would be too restrictive.
And yes, as counterintuitive as it sounds, the handlebar levers add air, not fuel as @Dool said, so I was right, mixture is too rich…

I'm fortunate to have no 'lever' to play with :cool:
Just get the Meteor Switch Gears and you guys can be cool too! Gotta admit that they are much better feeling, and seem way better built than OEM Himmi offers...
B
What is a switch gear?

Switch Gear , refers to the complete assembly mounted to the Handlebars, switches and Gear ?
Common terminology. In some parts of the World :giggle:

T4 is going to be probably too lean.

I already told which map you should try, that’s T3, which is the leanest of the “normal” three. T4 on a 477 at lower altitudes it’s still too lean.

With map3 the bike does not start when cold and when warm it cuts out when the throttle is opened suddenly. This is repeatable.

With map 2 the cutouts only happens for the first few minutes of running, starting is still a hit & miss thing meaning the starter motor has to turn the engine for 5-10 seconds until it catches and during this time the choke has to be held and the throttle carefully held in a slightly open position. All this only on first startup in the morning - consecutive startups are "normal".

Have a look at what thony has posted relating to Cold start, I think he has it sorted, maybe thats your next step?

Back