The "Red ECU" thread

I just got an order in from Motos Carronas and Pablo plans to use it for a 500cc with a lightweight crankshaft. He is also an expert in all things moto so maybe we get some feedback from him in a while (a rather long while I suppose). He seems to hate English so I will bug him with the help of google translate 😇
Yeah, I know that was going to happen. I was the one pushing the red box to him, trying to explain all the advantages that little thing has.

He's most probably going to use one of my maps and then he will optimize it on the dyno for his special application.

Heads up!. ( Achtung whatever ) when making changes in the RB from the software which is the only place it can be done.

Check and check again then connect it to another computer and check more, it is so easy to "think" you have entered a value change and for it not to be saved or entered or some such, DAMHIK :ROFLMAO:

Put the V6 on the BS4 and the bike ran awful. Did not start initially, and when it started it would not run smooth but very irregular when turning the trottle. It cut out when the throttle was jerked. It did this also with the V4 map that was on it before so I do not primarily look for the maps but some other fuckup that happened during the either 3 month being parked without running or something the mechanic did which he should not have done.
All 4 maps showed the same "result", then the battery was empty. more results coming up ...

before you ask I did the "send all" and then the throttle calibration. Twice. with stopped engine.

I Loaded the V7 on my Bs4 and when I looked again it wasn't there!
I checked from the ECU using another laptop to confirm.
Anyhow it ain't simple but when loaded properly with a Throttle Learn procedure done I got an excellent result on the Dyno.
Frustrating when it doesent seem to respond but what an awesome little box.
Thanks to @Sasa 👏👏

Put the V6 on the BS4 and the bike ran awful. Did not start initially, and when it started it would not run smooth but very irregular when turning the trottle. It cut out when the throttle was jerked. It did this also with the V4 map that was on it before so I do not primarily look for the maps but some other fuckup that happened during the either 3 month being parked without running or something the mechanic did which he should not have done.
All 4 maps showed the same "result", then the battery was empty. more results coming up ...

before you ask I did the "send all" and then the throttle calibration. Twice. with stopped engine.
@sam2019 what is the complete configuration of the bike?

477 + HT-b cam + ?

What abouth exhaust, exhaust pipe and filter? Which fuel r u running?

BTW always do a "read all" to confirm the map has been loaded!

I would not like to do the Throttle Learn with the Engine running, the PT had a similar function and I decided to do it with ignition on but engine stopped, can not see the point of revving my engine for nothing, on the road is different. As is the Dyno!

Bike is with open exhaust (powerage) and air filter. head is new but stock. regular spark plug (bosch). 83.5 piston, HT-b cam.

we changed the injector and it seemed to have helped somewhat, still while cold the engine runs irregular and I get it to cut out when accelerating sudden. this disappears when warm.
when warm it runs good now although with a few caviats:
I only run map2 - all other maps run worse (some cut out right away) - on map 2 the power development is not great until I hit about 4000rpm.
then it shoots. I have not used the "choke" when starting cold, will try next time.

Overall and judged by a short trip of about 25km - the carby still has the upper hand. I have a carby 83.5 with cam here for comparison and it responds better in all situations - cold, warm and in the lower RPM.

oh, and yes, I did confirm the map is loaded after I read Dools message.

Fuel filter.
You said the bike has sat for 3 months, lack of power and cut outs seems like a fuel pressure problem.
With a Gauge fitted to the outlet line of the pump and DeadHead it should hit 45psi then hold around 40 constant

Fuel filter.
You said the bike has sat for 3 months, lack of power and cut outs seems like a fuel pressure problem.
With a Gauge fitted to the outlet line of the pump and DeadHead it should hit 45psi then hold around 40 constant
we do not have equipment to measure that - hell that workshop does not even have a functioning air pressure gauge LOL
but I think we could just replace the fuel pump with a new one for testing

That should be good enough.
The first BMW K100 I ever worked on had a Miss and from what little I understood from Fuel Injection school that was usually always the Fuel pressure.
In that case the fuel could be seen squirting in the Tank thru the Cap hole as the filter ( in line pressure type) had split.
With our beloved EFI Himalayans there is not pressure filter only a sock in the inlet so a pressure Gauge is a good tool to have.
They only need a zero to 100psi gauge and a piece of hose and a clamp, I thought they were "inventive" :unsure:

Last edited:
I just got an order in from Motos Carronas and Pablo plans to use it for a 500cc with a lightweight crankshaft. He is also an expert in all things moto so maybe we get some feedback from him in a while (a rather long while I suppose). He seems to hate English so I will bug him with the help of google translate 😇
Lightweight crankshaft or a Balancer Delete?

Lightweight crankshaft or a Balancer Delete?
I know the guy. He actually worked on both, removed weight from both the crankshaft and (less) from the balancer. I haven’t had the opportunity to test it, though…

Did he design the 450 piston ?
He actually sells and installs 81mm forged pistons (443cc) so I guess there is a high chance you’re running his piston…

So exchanged injector, TB and fuel pump - still runs like shit. There is nothing else to change left.
Slowly I suspect the maps do not work for me.

I know the guy. He actually worked on both, removed weight from both the crankshaft and (less) from the balancer. I haven’t had the opportunity to test it, though…

He actually sells and installs 81mm forged pistons (443cc) so I guess there is a high chance you’re running his piston…
No I am not :cool:

So exchanged injector, TB and fuel pump - still runs like shit. There is nothing else to change left.
Slowly I suspect the maps do not work for me.
at this stage I would be wondering about the Technicians!
Mapping could not be so far out surely, send me the Map your using taken from the ECU and I can run it tomorrow on 2 bikes.
Failing that send me the Technicians :ROFLMAO:

We are changing to a different air filter now, i had the stock in which is too restrictive. For now we also remove the cam. More tomorrow. Thanx for the offer, i may take you up on it if everything else fails.

Back