Starter motor improvement

I was able to install my new starter relay and am pleased how well the bike turns over. Although after bypassing the clutch switch I wasn’t having the issue with the starter stalling out that I had before it seems the bike spins over more freely now. I replaced the original cables that I’m guessing were 10 gauge with some 8 gauge cable I had laying around. I also ran a ground wire directly to the starter relay coil since I had bypassed the clutch switch anyway. I did this to eliminate the long run of the ground from the clutch switch.
I was able to mount the new starter relay to the same tab that the original relay was attached to.
Time will tell if the new starter relay will hold up well but I like being able to use a heavier gauge wire that doesn’t get warm while turning the motor over. Now I feel the weak link as far as the wiring goes is the ground wire running from the battery to the starter motor since it only looks to be 10 gauge as well.

Attachments

• 5BBD00B3-E011-4AC7-814B-1527C545EFC4.jpeg
    5BBD00B3-E011-4AC7-814B-1527C545EFC4.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 102
  • 4E166E41-D659-417F-AD6E-B0A29C3810FA.jpeg
    4E166E41-D659-417F-AD6E-B0A29C3810FA.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 110
  • A92EB7DA-E6DD-43C7-AF1B-FA29F84E9829.jpeg
    A92EB7DA-E6DD-43C7-AF1B-FA29F84E9829.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 110
Hey OMH I'm old too and can do without so many 'safety features'. In fact I followed your lead and removed the Clutch and Side-stand Switches, but as I was hoping to also see the results that you posted regarding 'no more labored starting' of the bike, I unfortunately have not had the same results as you. My bike still act's like it doesn't have a De-Compressor, or a bad battery. I'd love a solution and believe that we're onto to one...
Bob
Bob, have you sorted your starter issue out yet? Since I added the Yamaha style starter relay and heavier gauge wire including the ground wire my starter is much happier. I originally didn’t replace the ground wire running to the starter mounting screw and even though the starter was working it still seemed the starter was laboring. Once I added the heavier ground wire the starter spins more freely. These RE starters apparently don’t like the voltage drop from the undersized wires.

Last edited:
Bob, have you sorted your starter issue out yet? Since I added the Yamaha style starter relay and heavier gauge wire including the ground wire my starter is much happier. I originally didn’t replace the ground wire running to the starter mounting screw and even though the starter it was working it still seemed the starter was laboring. Once I added the heavier ground wire the starter spins more freely. These RE starters apparently don’t like the voltage drop from the undersized wires.

I’m following your steps and installing heavier gauge wire on both the connection to the starter! I’ll post a detail mod here, aiming to make it 100% reversible, so still waiting fo a couple of connectors to arrive!

I can add this until Sasa has something more detailed. I did sacrifice my original OEM starter relay for the connectors so I wouldn’t have to cut or modify any of the original wiring.

Wire description

GR - Ground wire for relay solenoid

SW - starter switch (brown wire with green stripe from OEM relay)

FB - Power to OEM fuse block (smaller red wire from OEM relay

B - Power from battery (upgraded to AWG 8 gauge wire)

M - Starter motor power (upgraded to AWG 8 gauge wire)

SF - Spare fuse (included with starter relay)

F - Accessory fuse (included with starter relay)

Acc - Fused accessory feeds (these two tabs are tied together internally)
This is a nice feature to add a couple of accessories to the bike.

Also not shown is I ran a new AWG 8 gauge ground wire to the starter motor replacing the OEM wire.

Attachments

• Himi relay.JPG
    Himi relay.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 105
Bob, have you sorted your starter issue out yet? Since I added the Yamaha style starter relay and heavier gauge wire including the ground wire my starter is much happier. I originally didn’t replace the ground wire running to the starter mounting screw and even though the starter was working it still seemed the starter was laboring. Once I added the heavier ground wire the starter spins more freely. These RE starters apparently don’t like the voltage drop from the undersized wires.
Hey Himmie: no I haven't got that sorted yet, and now that I've seem to have regained access to this forum (?), I am following this thread, closely. I doubt that I'll be able to obtain a Yamaha Starter Relay though, and will have to scratch my head on this for awhile...
Bob

Hey Himmie: no I haven't got that sorted yet, and now that I've seem to have regained access to this forum (?), I am following this thread, closely. I doubt that I'll be able to obtain a Yamaha Starter Relay though, and will have to scratch my head on this for awhile...
Bob
@RCruiser just browse amazon, they are pretty much all the same!

That one should work. Here’s the one I got because I thought the plastic guard was a nice addition. Also you will need the matching plug.

Just an FYI. DO NOT wire it the way they show on the one you showed above. That fuse will be blown immediately when you try to start the bike.

New Starter Relay Compatible With/Replacement For YAMAHA V-Star 1300 Deluxe XVS13BG 15 16 3D8-81940-00-00 12V https://a.co/d/iKRaRJJ

Starter Solenoid Relay Plug Repair Wiring Harness Fit for Yamaha YFZ450 YFZ 450 ATV Raider Roadliner Stratoliner R1 https://a.co/d/bS5jcTa

So do you think this would be a good one to order?:
(If you open the 2nd screenshot it gives you a better view of the Relay...).
Bob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-16 185332.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-16 185332.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2023-03-16 185522.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-16 185522.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
So do you think this would be a good one to order?:
(If you open the 2nd screenshot it gives you a better view of the Relay...).
Bob
It looks like it may work fine although I’m not sure of the physical size will fit but it does look a little smaller than the Yamaha style one. There isn’t much room to mount under the side panel.

That one should work. Here’s the one I got because I thought the plastic guard was a nice addition. Also you will need the matching plug.

Just an FYI. DO NOT wire it the way they show on the one you showed above. That fuse will be blown immediately when you try to start the bike.

New Starter Relay Compatible With/Replacement For YAMAHA V-Star 1300 Deluxe XVS13BG 15 16 3D8-81940-00-00 12V https://a.co/d/iKRaRJJ

Starter Solenoid Relay Plug Repair Wiring Harness Fit for Yamaha YFZ450 YFZ 450 ATV Raider Roadliner Stratoliner R1 https://a.co/d/bS5jcTa
Alright, already ordered those. So from those 2 accessory fuses will provide 2 separate units of add ons that will get powered when bike is on right? I was going to do a fuse box but this seems more discrete. Want to plug the new fuel gauge and probably a phone charger for long trips. I currently have an auxiliar h4 headlight on the side that is poorly connected to the stock ignition fuse so it gets power when key is on.

Alright, already ordered those. So from those 2 accessory fuses will provide 2 separate units of add ons that will get powered when bike is on right? I was going to do a fuse box but this seems more discrete. Want to plug the new fuel gauge and probably a phone charger for long trips. I currently have an auxiliar h4 headlight on the side that is poorly connected to the stock ignition fuse so it gets power when key is on.
Unfortunately the fused terminals are tied directly to the positive from the battery lead. Only one fuse for the two accessory terminals. The other fuse is just a spare.

This relais is probably used (or can be used) on many more bikes. I ordered one a while ago for the same reason, but didnt have time to try it out.
It is the same relais as used on many KTM models, EXC, adventure etc.
Just google KTM starter relais

Got the Relay, and now I've got a question:
Looking at the OEM Relay, I initially see 3 Red Wires, and I believe these to correspond to what Himmie's Diagram shows to be F, B, M. Cool.
What I Don't understand is what was discussed earlier about the Ground Wire. I Totally See why the skinny little Wire that is there now would/could be inadequate, but since it 'Goes Somewhere' past the Connector, how did you solve this? I'm thinking that I could go Directly to Neg-Battery or the the Frame but with a Heavier Wire. Not sure if I should reutilize the Connector that sits in between or not...
I've gotta pick up some Heavier Gauge Wire before digging into this so I'll await an answer or two?
TIA
Bob

Back