Starter motor improvement

Hard to imagine the fault is the Relay/Solenoid, OEM is bigger than the replacement and should be well waterproofed if nothing else, the only thing I see is thin cables.
Has anyone pulled their Starter Motor apart to see if there is any weak spots there? IMG_20230429_225230.jpg

Great Tip on the Solar Panel Connectors Sasa!
Like these? They are rated @1500V and accept 10mm Wire.

Attachments

• solar panel connectors.jpg
    solar panel connectors.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 67
Hard to imagine the fault is the Relay/Solenoid, OEM is bigger than the replacement and should be well waterproofed if nothing else, the only thing I see is thin cables.
Has anyone pulled their Starter Motor apart to see if there is any weak spots there? View attachment 1030
Ya Peter they do look beefy enough. The issue is the 'small' Wire/cable is embedded in that epoxy and would need replacement, so kind of a hobbling up in that plan too. I do think that the relay in your pic is water/weather sealed so it's just the connecting points themselves that are vunerable, ya? I've got a Plastic Cover/shield that covers that point on mine, but when I redo that system again (when I take off the ABS and create some space for it), I may Silcone Seal that part too.

I have access to the Best available, but they are not as thick as the RE ones :(

just finished stage 1
No emergency starter, just the bare minimum.
Seems a bit better than before which was not very good:)IMG_20230430_223632.jpg
I made the Relay a bit lighter, decided I didn't need the extra fuse and outlets!
IMG_20230430_214701.jpg
This enabled me to solder the wires to the terminals and exit at a better angle.

IMG_20230501_000650.jpg

1.3mm! if this was soldered I think it would be well sufficient for the task, but being unsoldered they will suffer from corrosion, all the more reason to do a Job on it.

Last edited:
I like some Technology and Hate Vehemently a friggin lot of as well. some I have mastered and most Not.
As in the upload of the vid in the Post above ( well it was when I looked , page that is ) didnt seem to master that so I decided to edit it on my phone, upload it to You Tube and copy the link.
I need more practice , does it show?

I like some Technology and Hate Vehemently a friggin lot of as well. some I have mastered and most Not.
As in the upload of the vid in the Post above ( well it was when I looked , page that is ) didnt seem to master that so I decided to edit it on my phone, upload it to You Tube and copy the link.
I need more practice , does it show?

Strange over talking is happening when I view it.

Yes it is a Pretty Crappy effort at making a Video, I am glad it is not my only achievement :ROFLMAO:

So far I am happy with the Modification to the Starter System, I am no longer stuck at TDC, it has the Grunt to get over it now, it seems.
Early days and I may fit a Decompressor Cam soon anyhow!
I have been able to start every time I wanted too so far:geek: Proving the "shitty little Battery" ( man it is light ! ) can do the Job, I am not sure if I would recommend this Battery ( a Sponsorship could change my opinion ) But it does save space and weight and has the Power to turn over a High Compression Himalayan:giggle:
IMG_20230429_224316_resized_20230429_105037501.jpg

So far I am happy with the Modification to the Starter System, I am no longer stuck at TDC, it has the Grunt to get over it now, it seems.
Early days and I may fit a Decompressor Cam soon anyhow!
I have been able to start every time I wanted too so far:geek: Proving the "shitty little Battery" ( man it is light ! ) can do the Job, I am not sure if I would recommend this Battery ( a Sponsorship could change my opinion ) But it does save space and weight and has the Power to turn over a High Compression Himalayan:giggle:
View attachment 1039
Good to hear! I’m not totally sold on this battery technology for motorcycles yet but if it works long term it’s a win. I sure like the weight and size of them.

Good to hear! I’m not totally sold on this battery technology for motorcycles yet but if it works long term it’s a win. I sure like the weight and size of them.
These Batteries do not like hard work!, they want to do it Quick and they have the High Volts but not the Reserve IMO.
But on Space and Weight they WIN!
Now I need to make a tool box to fill the space :unsure:

The Starter Relay I have used is common enough, we have all seen them, I was looking for a better quality and water proof version when I found this. Could be interesting.
IMG_20230502_213845_resized_20230502_093915956.jpg
Might be big enough?

Cant complain about the price!

So a bit more on the Mini Battery set up.
IMG_20230504_101653_resized_20230504_101854201.jpg
Neat as it is , it is not Splash proof.
IMG_20230504_104533_resized_20230504_115333007.jpg

It is Now !
A spray can lid that was of the right plastic, still not water proof buy I suspect most water will come from above and I have no intention of Crossing Rivers ;)
Waiting for the Silastik to dry.

Silastik, has there been a better invention?

IMG_20230504_214011_resized_20230504_094106261.jpg

IMG_20230504_215628_resized_20230504_095903875.jpg

Touches the side Cover! if I get a rattle I know where to look.

See it is happening on this side, The majority of the electrical components are on the right side hanging off the Loom.
In My case even more so!

The rest of the Crap is under the Seat ;)

Seriously, all that Space! Gotta be 6 liters at least :ROFLMAO:
Cable Ties are a pretty good invention also :)

Last edited:
IMG_20230505_003531_resized_20230505_123803710.jpg
Maybe not 6L but an Improvement on what you see when you take off Your Covers :giggle:

By removing the AirBox/Battery holder/Fuse box and Relays etc holder I have upset the airflow to the Inlet! IMO
I will need to either Line or Fill this Void to keep the Hot air from the engine going straight into the Pod filter.
And hopefully encourage it to breathe from where My Pinky is pointing

This could be a Fail again, the starter Relay held in and the starter did not release on 2 occasions, perhaps the relay is back to front?
I will wait until the new unit arrives and fit that the way it is intended, just in case ;)

This could be a Fail again, the starter Relay held in and the starter did not release on 2 occasions, perhaps the relay is back to front?
I will wait until the new unit arrives and fit that the way it is intended, just in case ;)
Relay shouldn't have an orientation.

I tried mine and works both ways... 🤷‍♂️

Maybe the battery was a little tired?

Back