Lazy cold start gone

Not sure why they are called that, Marketing perhaps :unsure:

@Sasa no success. Issue spot is still 2200 rpm at around 26 kmh. Values were changed as per your instructions.

@Dool yes I red your comment on the spark plug color the other day, this was just a reference. Temperature here is around 17-18C most of my mornings.

@Sasa no success. Issue spot is still 2200 rpm at around 26 kmh. Values were changed as per your instructions.

@Dool yes I red your comment on the spark plug color the other day, this was just a reference. Temperature here is around 17-18C most of my mornings.
Good thing, you would not want to do the chop on an Iridium
plug, too expensive

Peter, you were right, I went out to start the bike this morning and it didn't have a MAP!? A guy can sure get into trouble with this software if he doesn't have a clue, like me, which I've demonstrated several times now.

So Peter you've gotta have this sending 'Current Configuration' thing down now, considering how many times that you've sent them to Sasa, so, how do I do it?

Geeze Bob, I was only joking, I thought saving made a copy. Your in @Sasa hands now, or when I get home I can send you another map.

Well the weird thing about this whole episode is that I seemed to have Erased the data from the MAP!? (BTW I had a backup copy so I loaded it and got to work). So what does that look like?: Yesterday when I dumped the MAP from my RB onto the USB drive, and as I was getting ready to send it to Sasa, I opened it up to first examine it and found that it was all 0/Zero Values in all of the fields. The File Size Was however 49kb. What!? This morning when going to start the bike, I went with computer in hand and hooked it up, and pressed Read All. Again, 0/Zero's in the Fields. So I loaded my Fresh Copy on and everything went fine from there.

Only thing remaining at this point is to figure out how to send a MAP to Sasa... Oh, and to also make the few adjustments back onto my RB so that I can get my bike to Stall! Maybe I should just leave it alone cause it didn't stall today! Ya I think this is a good idea...
Bob

If possible I'd like to do one more test.

This implies using two maps.

One of the map shall be left as it is (say map2) the other shall be modified as per figure (say map3)
1675437357138.png

In the Air fuel ratio tab, on the map you're going to test, insert all zeroes in the idle row.

Test this map and the unmodified one in the same condition as before (rolling downhill, pull the clutch, etc...) and see if that makes a difference.
I had already noticed that o2 sensor closed loop doesn't like too much the idle row, maybe this is the reason of the cut-offs...

Last edited:
Well the weird thing about this whole episode is that I seemed to have Erased the data from the MAP!? (BTW I had a backup copy so I loaded it and got to work). So what does that look like?: Yesterday when I dumped the MAP from my RB onto the USB drive, and as I was getting ready to send it to Sasa, I opened it up to first examine it and found that it was all 0/Zero Values in all of the fields. The File Size Was however 49kb. What!? This morning when going to start the bike, I went with computer in hand and hooked it up, and pressed Read All. Again, 0/Zero's in the Fields. So I loaded my Fresh Copy on and everything went fine from there.

Only thing remaining at this point is to figure out how to send a MAP to Sasa... Oh, and to also make the few adjustments back onto my RB so that I can get my bike to Stall! Maybe I should just leave it alone cause it didn't stall today! Ya I think this is a good idea...
Bob
Hey @RCruiser that was Karma silently working to bring you back on the good path! ;)

Jokes aside you can start anew now with your idle mods, but if it starts working properly don't poke it too much! :)

It seemed to also start pretty nicely this morning with an 'unaltered' MAP 6 SE. Let me see what happens tomorrow morning, then I'll decide if it's worth messing around with Sasa.

...I'm gonna Have to mess around with Sasa...
cause my bike don't like starting in the cold!
Ya, I was too optimistic yesterday, so today I had to keep my hand on the throttle again and realized why I wanted to play with it in the first place.
I'll keep you informed as I go along. But, should I need to Send Sasa my MAP, How do I do it?
TIA, Bob

...I'm gonna Have to mess around with Sasa...
cause my bike don't like starting in the cold!
Ya, I was too optimistic yesterday, so today I had to keep my hand on the throttle again and realized why I wanted to play with it in the first place.
I'll keep you informed as I go along. But, should I need to Send Sasa my MAP, How do I do it?
TIA, Bob
@RCruiser is pretty straight forward.

1. Connect the RB to the PC and launch the software
2. Hit "Read all", this way you dump all the information currently on the RB
3. Go to File->Save as... and save the file somewhere (49kb)
4. Send the file via mail
5. Grab a beer, it was easy peasy, but there are always reasons for celebrating! :)

Sasa,
I'm sorry for the trouble; apparently I'm Really not one with Technology any longer!
The process you gave me was way too easy.
FWIW I loaded a good MAP onto the bike this morning, made some ECT COMP INJ modifications (that I sent to you-Successfully!), and the bike seemed to like the numbers. Mind you it is getting a tad warmer, was about 18c when I started it, but I did need to hold the throttle until it warmed sufficiently. Why do I think that it 'liked the numbers' then? Well because my 1st start was w/o any Throttle input on my part and it started. It just didn't Maintain startedness (?) but died after a few seconds.
Bob

If possible I'd like to do one more test.

This implies using two maps.

One of the map shall be left as it is (say map2) the other shall be modified as per figure (say map3)
View attachment 484

In the Air fuel ratio tab, on the map you're going to test, insert all zeroes in the idle row.

Test this map and the unmodified one in the same condition as before (rolling downhill, pull the clutch, etc...) and see if that makes a difference.
I had already noticed that o2 sensor closed loop doesn't like too much the idle row, maybe this is the reason of the cut-offs...
OK @Sasa I have put all idle values to zero on map 2 in order to compare with my daily one (3), will test plenty next Monday-Tuesday. I did notice a higher than 12 OG AFR, you mention it has to be in low 12s, mine is higher, see this pic (this was before changing values and with engine not running:

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-05 at 12.19.50 AM.jpeg

@thony numbers are normal, keep in mind that this is the AFR target WHEN you're cruising (so steady throttle). Numbers are there to make you save some fuel, but when you twist the throttle the bike comes back alive!

Anyhow yes, put zeroes on all the cell in the idle row (lowermost) and test it out! :)

Sasa,
I'm sorry for the trouble; apparently I'm Really not one with Technology any longer!
The process you gave me was way too easy.
FWIW I loaded a good MAP onto the bike this morning, made some ECT COMP INJ modifications (that I sent to you-Successfully!), and the bike seemed to like the numbers. Mind you it is getting a tad warmer, was about 18c when I started it, but I did need to hold the throttle until it warmed sufficiently. Why do I think that it 'liked the numbers' then? Well because my 1st start was w/o any Throttle input on my part and it started. It just didn't Maintain startedness (?) but died after a few seconds.
Bob
Looking at the map as I write, I'll come back in few seconds...

@RCruiser the values you put in the ECT comp INJ are probably not enough yet and you need a tad more fuel, at least at very cold temperatures.

Use these values for next cold start up and see how it goes (courtesy of Thony)
1675579220420.png

This is a video of my cold start:
(first time uploading a YT video to my account).

@thony what do you use as "base value", aka the value in the idle row in the fuel INJ map.

2.65 as the original map or you changed?

ANyhow good start! What was the temperature?

I have not touched these values Sasa as you suggested. All I have modified are the values at the given rpms. Temperature that time was 19C, oh yes that is a happy start.

Back