How much More Power will I get?

Dool

Backyard Bodger
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
Obviously it depends on what you are prepared to do but an increase of 30+% is possible.
How? well displacement is an obvious choice as is a Cam.
Both benefit from a aftermarket Header Pipe with slip on Muffler as opposed to the stock with its restrictive header pipe and muffler joined by an hourglass.
Then there is the Air Box which can be Modified or Deleted .
Fueling will need to be addressed and there a few options depending on your level of Modification but 30% is what I am getting with a Mildly modded 477 running stock Head and Cam.
My overbore 443 has run 37% with my best run showing a 42% increase over stock with 500cc.
Stick around if any of these numbers are of interest, it is an ongoing pursuit
I started with 22RWHP on a stock 2020 411cc and all tests have been done on the same Dyno by the same operator.

Dyno day Tomorrow and Rain is forecast ( unusual for December!) should be 21 degrees C ( although I am sure the Dyno Man compensates for the weather ), rain has been with me on many good dyno days. Ive put clear tape over my Throttle marking so it doesent get washed away.

The last Run delivered 27.9 only 1.4 more than the previous 26.5 but it gave 2.5 more from 6000rpm onwards. It showed what adding a good exhaust can do.

This run will show what just a Cam added to the Mix can do, I am expecting 1.5 to 2 HP .

I base my estimate not on what my Butt tells me but a quick analysis of Tec's Dyno chart where they compare stock to stock plus Cam and plus Cam and better Exhaust etc.

From analyzing their chart albeit in BHP I see they almost get the 20% they claim, more like 19, okay sounds picky but the percentages I am getting are after the Losses of the Transmission and mine are still higher than theirs.
For the Cam alone they get 7.5% ( yes the Mighty TEC Cam gives just 7.5% ! ) to get close to the 20% the Exhaust and inlet are changed and that gives 19% Before the Transmission takes its toll!

So I think just adding the Cam to my 477 will not get to the 31RWHP that I achieved previously, why because this time im not cheating by using a 34mm throttle Body :ROFLMAO:

And Rain it did, and I got 2.4HP increase by adding the H-T b Cam, more to the Point there is nearly 3hp over the range of useful Power.
Red is last run without Cam and Blue is todays best run with the Cam, my Butt needs recalibration!

Couldn't be done without the Red Box and @Sasa

So that is a 38.5% increase over the Stock machine , does anybody else make such a Claim ?

After Dynotime it is Strip Down time, so onto the Bench and off come the bits to be replaced with others and the process starts again :unsure:

Am I missing something here:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_091412.jpg
    IMG_20221213_091412.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
To put things in perspective I made this plot in Excel where you can see 3 sets of data:

Red Line: 500cc big bore + a bunch of other mods (please @Dool remind me what was on) and I believe PT at the time
Blue Line: 471cc big bore + HT-b cam + free flowing exhaust and filter + 34TB(?) + RB and map V4
Green Line: 477cc big bore + HT-b cam + free flowing exhaust and filter, everything else stock + RB and map V5.0 (table2 - performance).

Power and torque 22-12-13.png

We can safely say we are (at the moment) in 500cc territory, at least up untill 5200RPM, which should be surprising since greater displacement should provide more torque&power down low!
And this is the map you're already enjoying on your V5 file! :)

Now: is this perfect? Not yet! I've spotted a couple of glitches I could fix, in particular the torque dip between 4000 and 5000 and between 5000 and 5500! Also I'd like the torque to drop more gradually between 5500 and 7000. I think I've gone abit overboard with timing in the uppermost RPM region.

Well all these data will be crunched and trickle down the V6 version (official, not beta) which should offer a flatter and smoother torque curve!

The Blue line benefited from the 34mm as did the Red, only the green line shows the stock Throttle Body.
The 500 had Tec Cam valve and port work and the same exhaust system as all three, including Air Box delete and yes PT.

The TEC cam would explain the very high top end of the red curve and the PT the smoother power delivery, but we're not too far off...

Imagine what could be done now that we have come this far with the 500cc, valve work, cam and RB!!!

Next year we shall see how far the 500 can get so we still have something to aim for.
I am happy with where its at now but think I will be Ecstatic with 33 that being a full 50% increase.
Can it be done? is anyone so stoopid? and Who cares?

I put my hand up:cool: Me Me Me!

To put things in perspective I made this plot in Excel where you can see 3 sets of data:

Red Line: 500cc big bore + a bunch of other mods (please @Dool remind me what was on) and I believe PT at the time
Blue Line: 471cc big bore + HT-b cam + free flowing exhaust and filter + 34TB(?) + RB and map V4
Green Line: 477cc big bore + HT-b cam + free flowing exhaust and filter, everything else stock + RB and map V5.0 (table2 - performance).

View attachment 197

We can safely say we are (at the moment) in 500cc territory, at least up untill 5200RPM, which should be surprising since greater displacement should provide more torque&power down low!
And this is the map you're already enjoying on your V5 file! :)

Now: is this perfect? Not yet! I've spotted a couple of glitches I could fix, in particular the torque dip between 4000 and 5000 and between 5000 and 5500! Also I'd like the torque to drop more gradually between 5500 and 7000. I think I've gone abit overboard with timing in the uppermost RPM region.

Well all these data will be crunched and trickle down the V6 version (official, not beta) which should offer a flatter and smoother torque curve!
The 500 was on a good Trajectory at 32.1 when the Clutch let go and it levelled out, 33 is there already I may up my expectations.

Next year we shall see how far the 500 can get so we still have something to aim for.
I am happy with where its at now but think I will be Ecstatic with 33 that being a full 50% increase.
Can it be done? is anyone so stoopid? and Who cares?

I put my hand up:cool: Me Me Me!
Count me too! šŸ˜†

Anyhow with this latest run we've seen already torque (which is what I'm aiming at) higher than 40Nm, so my thirst would be already satisfied but...

Best would be to get to 34hp, that would equal (more or less) to a fat round 40 at the crank!

Come to think of it, I might prepare the same plot with different curves of the different configuration you tested lately:
  • 477 with exhaust
  • 477 with exhaust and cam
etc.
I think it would be nice to see with all curves superimposed where you gain more with which component added!

Come to think of it, I might prepare the same plot with different curves of the different configuration you tested lately:
  • 477 with exhaust
  • 477 with exhaust and cam
etc.
I think it would be nice to see with all curves superimposed where you gain more with which component added!
I imagine the Exhaust gives a Fair bit of the Sum total.

Back