Dyno Results

"Carburetor" ? :unsure:
I knew that would get Your Attention, ;)

This will be My, De Evolution Biggest Bore ( DEBB for short )

De Evolution because I hope to fit the Kick Starter to it and keep a small LifePo4 attached, not that Vain that I will remove the Lectric starter:)
Switches in the Head light shell Clean Handle Bars, that sort of thing. Petrol Tank will be easier to find without EFI, more choices available and as we all know ,

Gravity Sucks ,,for Free!!

I knew that would get Your Attention, ;)

This will be My, De Evolution Biggest Bore ( DEBB for short )

De Evolution because I hope to fit the Kick Starter to it and keep a small LifePo4 attached, not that Vain that I will remove the Lectric starter:)
Switches in the Head light shell Clean Handle Bars, that sort of thing. Petrol Tank will be easier to find without EFI, more choices available and as we all know ,

Gravity Sucks ,,for Free!!
:eek:

That sounds like a fun project!!!

The true barebone bike, an old school build!

At my age I like to keep both Hands on the Handle Bars, it helps sometimes, like this Morning:poop:
Great little 30min ride this morning got to Test both the 0 to 100kph and the ABS, a small white car with a small Red P plate ( provisional like "just got a License") decided not to go just as I had decided otherwise, the back kicked in first and just as the dust particles on the number plate were becoming visible the front kicked in, this is not the closest I have been to a small white Car, it made me appreciate the ABS and wonder how hard it is to Bleed!
Screenshot_20230509_101707_klb.acceleration.time.jpg
This is another reason to "Hang On"

I guess it's time we get back to dyno results.

I summarized all dyno charts (most relevant) in a single excel file to be able to compare power and torque curve. The bluish curves have been obtained with the stock 411cc (78mm piston) engine, those yellow/orange/red with a 477/471cc (84/83.5mm, Indian made) and the green ones with a 443cc (81mm piston, Indian made). As usual credit for time, money and effort goes to @Dool !

Power.png

Torque.png

Let's analyze the data.

On a stock bike, it’s sufficient to remove all flow restrictions given by the stock air filter with the snorkel and the stock header pipe with cat converter and silencer (a DNA filter with open flange and a Delkevic exhaust pipe with free flowing silencer have been used) and add a more lift/ more duration camshaft (Himalayan-tools), using a simple FuelX to take care of fuel, to get to a gain (in percentages) of 24% in terms of power, although only 17% in terms of torque. This is because the higher “breathing” capacity of the engine is better suited to the higher RPM range!

The yellow curve shows a bike with only a bump in displacement to 477cc (and a red box unit for fuel), with aftermarket silencer and free flowing filter but with stock camshaft an exhaust pipe (with cat converter). Low RPMs torque is increased substantially but at medium to high RPMs, starting from 5000RPM, it starts to drop fast due to the insufficient ability of the system to get rid of exhaust gases, due to both cat restriction and insufficient time/lift of the valves.

It's sufficient to remove the cat converter in the exhaust pipe (using a Delkevic header) to gain between 1,5 and 2,5 hp along the curve, keeping all the other variables equal. At low RPM the torque is unaffected, in this case removing the cat converter has only benefits performance wise. Incidentally the maximum value for power is very similar between the orange and the dark blue curve, HOWEVER the driving perception is very different! Despite a comparable power gain (+24% blue vs +26% orange), the torque gain is doubled (+17% vs +34%) and it happens at lower (more usable) RPMs!

The red dotted line and the red continuous line represent basically the same configuration, specifically the orange configuration but with the addition of the Himalayan-tools camshaft. Both have been shown to underline the importance of map tuning, specially advance timing. Optimizing the map there are 1,5 to 2,5 hp of power to be gained and 1 to 4Nm of torque more, depending on the position on the curve.
In the case of the continuous red line, comparing to the stock bike, the gain is +38% powerwise and +48% torque wise, with a torque curve almost linear at 40Nm up until 5000/5500 RPMs! There are two months in terms of time between the two tests, during the first trial I was young and foolish! :ROFLMAO:

The green line represents, finally, the maximum you could gain from a 443cc engine (Indian made) to which all possible improvements have been applied: all the other mods cited before plus bigger valves, ported head, bigger throttle body from a Continental GT535, airbox delete and a stage 2 camshaft from Hitchcock Motorcycle (the best performer overall according to our tests, so far...). The bike in this configuration runs without any loss of power up until the limiter at 8000RPM, with a torque curve (although lower than the previous case at 35-38Nm) nearly constant up to 6000RPMs! +37% of torque compared to the stock bike and almost +50% of power (ok, it’s +48%...).

Unfortunately we haven’t tested a similar configuration but with the 477/471 instead of the 443, but speculating a bit we should be on similar or slightly higher torque values w.r.t the red line, but extended up to 6000RPM, for an overall power of approx. 34hp. Anyhow this remains a speculation until when we’ll test it for real, if ever. @Dool had a promising 500cc and the only dyno available shown impressive torque down low, but unfortunately the inlet manifold had an issue, hence the results above 5500 are rather useless (although around 32-33hp...)

In conclusion: if you’re fond of the red line zone, consider adding a camshaft and a dekat pipe (free flowing filter and aftermarket exhaust are taken for granted). If you want torque down low, instead, as the American use to say “there’s no replacement for displacement!”.

I take it as a compliment that you have done this Charting and analysis 👏
It Highlights that the Dyno is pretty much useless below 3000RPM as well as that , getting an increase is not as simple as it seems. Both givens to those in the Know!
Unfortunately I have done Dyno tests and posted the results when the Build is not optimized and tuned correctly, unfortunate in that most people only look for the Headline Number and can not understand the complexities .
But @Sasa understands this and looks into the Data to make informed comments, I agree with all that he has said, except maybe that the 83.5 and 81mm Pistons are made in India㊙️, my guess is Taiwan or China, this does not matter as long as they perform well.;)
Dyno runs are at a cost and although they can provide very useful data (if that Data is properly analyzed!), the thrill of beating all at the Lights and doing 0 to 100kph in under 7 seconds is an awesome feeling and keeps me interested in what would be considered Folly by many.
One Day I will Grow up and stop doing silly things,,,,,,,,perhaps!

Back