Royal Enfield Shenanigans consolidated

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
7. January 2022, 9:22

Today I arrived at my trusted RE dealership only to find the staff exited but not in a good way. Turns out some IDIOT from RE had visited the day before and taken PICTURES of my brand new Hima standing there with new horns (not the puny type thats originally on the bike but real car horns) and COMPLAINED to management why they would mount parts that are not sold by RE.
Imagine that. This company is BEYOND shitty. There is an entire aftermarket of hundrets if not thousands of parts for RE bikes - all of their models - and NONE can be put on a bike by the official dealership. Hitchcocks would be out of business (and so would we). Madness rears its head. So I have to go to some roadside baba for fixing my add-ons. Great for the roadside baba. Not so great for me if the add-on requires a bit deeper knowledge of the bike e.g. the electrical system.
I want to shoot those moronic RE reps. Unfortunately that is illegal....

27. September 2021, 12:41

no more spare parts ...​

... for independent garages or hobby mechanics.

RE officially has blocked all "over the counter" sales of major parts like cylinders, heads, anything that could be used to repair a RE bike outside an official RE dealership's garage. This is NOT officially stated but an internal memo and some dealers try to ignore it when it comes to small things like brake pads or such. But of course we are depending on the supply of cylinders to modify them to 477 and THAT is now in danger.

The immediate fallout for our Indian customers will be that I will only accept orders for the piston/sleeve set and the customer has to modify his own cylinder then - or maybe pay a kind of deposit which is returned as soon as we receive his old cylinder.

15. July 2021, 16:14

While we love our bikes - we not necessarily share that feeling for EICHER, the company that makes them.
They just hit me with a CEASE AND DESIST note. If you want to share in the laugh read it here:

of course I had to comply - it is their copyright - but I know of no other company making bikes that makes it illegal to share their repair manuals. In the case of BMW you can even buy them in high quality with great explanations and part numbers etc.
I wonder if that is limited to me or if we will see them disappear from all the other places on the Internet where they are (or have been in the past) made available.
There really is no limit to idiocy in the corporate world. If I was in Siddhartha Lal's shoes I would fire the responsible guy with extreme prejudice LOL.
I guess if this gets out some people will think twice if they want to support a extremely customer unfriendly policy like this and may go for Honda, BMW or Java instead.

30. June 2021, 4:54

Explanation: This info is 2 weeks old and was first published in the closed DEV group because I needed to verify that indeed happened what is described here. And it indeed did!!
Now as of the ramifications: I have not deleted the videos and I have no intention to do so in the future. However we will record new videos in a space I rented for this occasion and the technician will only work for me in his free time. That will of course limit the number of videos as he only has one day free per week and I can not gobble up all his time so we will have to find some solution. But new videos will come and RE, utterly consumer unfriendly as ever, will not be mentioned in them nor their symbols or trademarks. What an utter clusterfuck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When talking to my dealer in Rishikesh about repair of the crashed bike he told me that he had been in a phone conference with "four top guys from RE" and they requested the videos on the Himalayan Tools channel done in his workshop be deleted or else they would close his contract.
Apart from the fact that all those videos are well received and of technical nature only one has to ask: how come this sudden activity and how come they are targeting HT and this poor dealership which is all but helpful to his customers and in particular me.
I do have an idea but holding back on this until I have more information. Looks like another conspiracy theory come true.
BTW: there some RE critical videos on my private travel channel, namely about the frame breaks but those are apparently not targeted. Why would anyone want to harm HT?
This is so over the top that even I have no words.

Back