Rohtang crossing in 2017

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
Now unfortunately authorities have blocked Rohtang for all 2 wheelers which is a real shame. The road up was fine, down was a drag but the view was fantastic.

Attachments

• imagex32.jpg
    imagex32.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 99
Now unfortunately authorities have blocked Rohtang for all 2 wheelers which is a real shame. The road up was fine, down was a drag but the view was fantastic.
It doesent look dangerous from here, here on my Chair in front of a Computer!:ROFLMAO:
But it is a Long Way To the Top as we sing in OZ and fkn Long WAAY Down from Rohtang ( that what looks like a Trickle of water could be a Kilometer wide raging River😉

Maybe is been closed to 2 wheels for a Reason, not that I would have thought the Gov was overly concerned about locals dying on the roads ( certainly looks like a problem !) but perhaps it looks bad when riders from certain "influential Countries" become statistics :unsure:

its all guesswork of course but what i have heard its local kids killing themselves on the way down… .

I remember passing through it in 2014, don't know if I'd have the guts to go down on a bike... Landscapes were exceptional though...

I remember passing through it in 2014, don't know if I'd have the guts to go down on a bike... Landscapes were exceptional though...
Yeah, you mean down on the side towards Leh - which sucks - but that is not the side the kids are racing down and getting killed.

Is this on the way to Ladahk?
I thought I was going to Die in a Bus getting to Ladahk when it went over a pass, no O2 couldn't get out of my seat.
1983. doesent seem. like yesterday :rolleyes:

I see now there is a tunnel and you can avoid the pass from Manali to Leh. I guess it's more practical, although less spectacular...

I thought I was going to Die in a Bus getting to Ladahk when it went over a pass, no O2 couldn't get out of my seat.
Yes it is on the way to Ladakh. Been almost 10 yrs for me, but I truly long those places...

yes, it used to be the only way, unless you went all the way around Jammu and Kashmir. Now we have the tunnel - mixed blessing but I appreciate it - having done my share of Rohtang crossings on Himas and Bullets.

So that Tunnel is the one that you can not carry fuel cans in?

So that Tunnel is the one that you can not carry fuel cans in?
right. but you are also not meant to have cameras running - so I guess it one of those "rules". also: there is a new gas station in Keylong now much reducing the risk to hit an empty last station as was the case when there was only one after the tunnel (or in the old days after Rohtang). because one saves about 80km of arduous driving it is quite possible to reach Leh on one stock tank of gas, however cutting it close.

right. but you are also not meant to have cameras running - so I guess it one of those "rules". also: there is a new gas station in Keylong now much reducing the risk to hit an empty last station as was the case when there was only one after the tunnel (or in the old days after Rohtang). because one saves about 80km of arduous driving it is quite possible to reach Leh on one stock tank of gas, however cutting it close.
Not from here it isnt :ROFLMAO: Take a couple of Airfares as well.

Apart from the awesome scenery and the intense Cold I can't see the attraction. :rolleyes:

indeed

Attachments

• DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00034.jpg
    DSC00034.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 68
I flew out from Leh to Srinagar over the Mountains, that was an awesome ride about 45 mins from memory, all the scenery you take in, no level flight just up and down they gave out boiled lollies before take off and I'm sure they were needed. Mine tasted kinda weird but worked well.

Back