Kickstart for the Hima

There has to be a way to replicate that bend. If this will be a kit at some point we could also provide the measurements needed to fabricate the lever locally. Besides the expected test period what is the main hold up to put the kit together Barima?

Last edited:
Well, at this moment i consider it MVP, everything works as it should. At this stage tough it is more considered as a developer kit. Although i did the main part of the development, replicating it without the right skills, tools and a lot of free time is impossible (I think Dool has both though :-) ).
For a sell-able product with minimal quality, lets say up to RE standards, all parts have to be refabricated. That would be at least two gears, the kickstarter and kickstarter shaft. For BMW level quality (for what its worth nowadays) some serious redesign has to be made and all design flaws removed. If someone is interested to make a replica and try to take this project a step further, i am at your service.

If someone is interested to make a replica and try to take this project a step further, i am at your service.
clear words! I will look into the possibilities once I am back from Ladakh. In the meantime I suggest we move this thread to the open part of the forum for greater audiences to see and possibly give feedback. Thoughts?

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Or make an new thread on the open part with the kickstart video and some info so we can continue here with our technical ramblings. It might get attention from RE, which then just releases the kit which they have already on the shelf. Oops caught myself in a wishful thinking mode... A good first step would be manufacture of a decent kickstarter, this opens the door at least to sell dummy kits for a start.

Can you make another short video with a fully operational kick - that includes the brake pedal. I think that was missing from the initial one. It would help making the idea look more sexy I think when spreading it.
The 411 is history for RE. They won't lift another finger for advancing it in any way. We are lucky if we get spares 2-3 years into the future given the abysmal customer relation they have now which is little more than brainwashing consumers in buying new bikes.

This is the best i could do for now. The kickstarter is gone after a round of kicks ,as expected from chinese crap. We definatley need a very solid (forged) kickstarter, like RE Bullet style. Modified the footpeg a bit as well so it gives more clearance.

Attachments

• kickstart-himalayan.mov
    4.5 MB
Can we get a comprehensive list of things, preferably with measurements, of what would be needed for a working set?

My machinist says he can reproduce all parts (for a price we do not know yet) so yes, I would be interested in a list of parts and such.

Sorry, but when I moved the thread from DEV to here it lost its views. So the view count you see now is the new one from after the move.

My machinist says he can reproduce all parts (for a price we do not know yet) so yes, I would be interested in a list of parts and such.
Do you have a spare clutch basket? The biggest challenge in this project is replicating the tooth design from the gear on the backside of the clutch basket.

The parts list would look something like this:
1. idle gear
2. kickstarter shaft
3. driven gear with engage hub
4. hub limiter
5. a lot of small items like shims circlips, oil seal etc.
6. kickstart spring
7. kickstarter

I am working on getting a complete set of the parts i used so you have an idea what it looks like.

This is a pic of a "developers" kit. It contains (almost) all the parts i used to create the kickstart kit and some 3d printed parts for reference.
It looks quite simple, but without the right equipment and skills this cant be done.

Attachments

• IMG_20240720_123417_367.jpg
    IMG_20240720_123417_367.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
I see 3 white ones and 2 silver ones, hopefully just my eyesight :cool:

I would not sweat the "small" stuff, that can be done, but what about that complicated looking mechanism, is that available "as is" from somewhere or does that need to be exclusively produced for this to work?

Yes, that whole piece has to be produced including shaft and gear. It would look and fucntion similar but dimension wise it is far off the one in the picture.

Yes, that whole piece has to be produced including shaft and gear. It would look and fucntion similar but dimension wise it is far off the one in the picture.
Without having any experience in the field but that looks like the death blow to the project being sellable.
if a simple piston requires a minimum of 100 pcs if ordered from a factory this part had to be custom designed, then made in numbers topping 1000 to be in a price range for us to be feasible. does anyone here think 1000 owners of the "old" Hima would be interested? and even then the entire package with the usual margin would be not under 500 US$. It was a nice idea though. Big hug for @barima to have us all dream of a kickstart for a while :love:

My leg is not going to thank me for this but heck, I'll be the first Himalayan in the Southern Hemisphere with a kick start.

Back