In Conclusion: What is Possible with 477cc?

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
22. July 2021, 4:50
There are various threads now that hide this kind of information from all but the most notorious readers so I attempt to consolidate the information in this thread.
Here is a very interesting dyno chart from Dool that shows that up to 30 REAL HP (not BHP) are possible with various add-ons to the 477 upgrade: (for a bigger version right-click and open in new tab)
(Lately he went up to 31 REAL HP (on the wheel) by using the TEC camshaft (UPDATE: today we of course use our own HT-b camshaft for that) - and that value may be top of the line for a 477)

Attachments

• 10HP-max.jpg
    10HP-max.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Dyno2707.jpg
    Dyno2707.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
CARBY VS EFI

Our 3 carby 477 mods show a strong increase in power that lead an old hand (40 years RE tech) to call it a "rocket". So is there a difference if you use the 477 on carby vs. EFI? All the nice dyno charts we have exclusively for EFI.

If you go up where the air is thin (well above 2000m) you will have to change the jets or else you will loose a LOT of power due to a too rich mix. (in Ladakh way too rich, black sod coming out of the exhaust).

The EFI with its O2 sensor is better in that landscape and if you use our red ECU or a Powertronic you can easily switch mapping optimized for low or high elevation.

Other than that carby has the same power, it is a lot cheaper because a jet costs 10 bucks, a red ECU or PT 300 AU$.

5. August 2021, 5:33
I am still getting questions regarding the dyno results that quote the Hima with stock 24.5 hp.
It seems clarification of the admittedly confusing use of the term Horse Power is in order:
If we use the term HP or hp on this forum we always talk about measurements at the rear wheel, sometimes we use the term RWHP for that reason.
The RE factory on the other hand measures their horse powers at the naked crankshaft which is of course more than what reaches the wheel - with the gears and chains in between eating into the power that finally reaches the rubber on the road. This is called brake horse power or BHP for short.
Baseline for the Hima is 24.5 BHP (as of the manual) whereas measured at the wheel are 20.5 RWHP only.
So if we state an otherwise unmodified 477 has 27 RWHP it is 6.5 more than the stock Hima. This can be further enhanced by adding a modified camshaft that allows for better fuel flow. In those cases up to 31 HP have been reached.

Quote from Dool on 5. August 2021, 5:56
So my 31RWHP would equate to around 35BHP.
Manufacturers could do a Dyno run like I did, but why would they? , They get better Numbers than me!
Brake Horse Power always looks better to the uninitiated, people are like that! To say the Manufacturers are not telling the Truth would just be stating Fact.
not necessarily. 31RWHP are more like 36 or 37 BHP. the conversion also depends abviously on what is between a crank and the road. a shaft driven bike has more loss, nobby tyres more than slick etc.

Does the Carby tie in with the TPS or does that require changing ?

I have never touched the TPS. Maybe I just got lucky.
(TPS=Throttle position sensor)

Back