Early carbed engine

stevejs

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
What's going on here!!! I don't visit the forum for a few days and everything changes!

Question: following the demise of my 477 engine I've been looking for a replacement. I have found a NOS from a 2016 carb bike. Am I right in thinking the alternator is different and this has timing marks which are crucial for the ECU? Therefore it wouldn't be plug and play on my 2020 model which has a Hitchcock carb conversion.

You are right in assuming that and we have discussed this at length before
only one post made it to this forum though - more might follow once the members start copy/pasting.

btw: what is a NOS? (none operational specimen??):rolleyes:

New Old Stock. The phrase is more usually used to describe stuff like 50 year old BSA pistons , still in their box which have been gathering dust on someone's shelves.

So....next question. Can a BS 4 alternator go straight onto a BS3? Does it need to in order for the bike to work?

The Hitchcock kit uses a throttle position sensor which is plugged into the wiring which went to the TPS on the fuel injection system. Anyone out there know?

Yes, I know, as stated before BS4 and BS3 alternators are very different and can not be interchanged.
The Hitch way is the only way unless you want to spend more money than the bike is worth (wiring, instrument cluster, alternator, light switch, other stuff). Unfortunately the BS3 stator is unreliable and tends to burn out. I always suggest to have a spare at home if you ride that bike so you are not feeling the pain of 4-6 weeks delivery time for that spare part when the time comes...

Back