Pannier Project for Himalayan type carriers (holders aka saddle stay)

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
Anybody in the market for 411 Himalayan panniers basically ends up with those costly RE stock types. They are good but not very good, but they are very expensive.
One of their weak spots is the supply of spares - ZERO - . No kidding, if the lock fails you are on your own, if you lose the keys you are on your own, if you damage the top cover there is no replacement and if you damage one out of a pair - you get to buy a new PAIR.
In my experience they are also not 100% water tight, at least not when washed with a pressure hose or in monsoon rain.

I have been looking for alternatives for a while and nothing made in India could even remotely satisfy my quality standards. The do shitty work, which is accepted widely here it seems. Its cheap but cheap shit.

Now I have come across some very nice 44 liter Italian made cases. These are originally made for weapons transport. Very sturdy but also a bit elastic (probably wont break on medium impacts) and they are not only water tight but air tight (they have an air valve screw on top to allow air to get in or out if needed, e.g. during flights with significant air pressure changes).

I will adapt them to fit the OEM RE carrier (which will also be available soon for the 450 model) and I am also in the process of having compatible carriers made for the Meteor, Hunter and New Classic.

Here are some pics (the rear lower connectors are white only on the prototype, they are 3d printed)

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.24_4dec836e.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.24_9d073b44.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.25_ece5f934.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.23_a075d44c.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.24_223a5ef1.jpg

Last edited:
You can lock the pannier with 1 or 2 simple padlocks - the newly designed upper rear attachment to the carrier will allow for either permanent securing (case needs to be opened to remove) or removable (with padlock - case can stay closed for pannier removing).
The latter should be faster and easier to handle compared to the OEM mechanism that requires one to open the pannier to remove it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.23_c6a660f3.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 13.54.23_c6a660f3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 17
I seems the 3d printed parts won't arrive before our Spiti/Ladakh trip so the final attachment test won't be done before we return.
I am considering buying a 3d printer, the guy doing the work for me is just too slow and now that anyone can do a 3d scan with the help of chatgpt 4 and even some apps on a phone there is no big mystery to getting the 3d designs anymore.

The printers in my financial ballpark (around 500 euro) would need a lifetime to print a reasonably big LEGO set, e.g. the star destroyer.
Even the industrial ones are not that much faster - there are print farms where 100 and more printers work to finish a job for a commercial customer. however my biggest problem would be the noise - I only have one room and these buggers are noisy and most print jobs run over night.

Some small progress report: had to modify the lower connectors as the holes for the screws need a different placement.
also the upper connector is no longer 3d printed but made from stainless steel. much more solid and also easier and cheaper to make.
The rainy season slows everything down but I hope to have a sample set ready by the end of the month.

I am at the third iteration of the upper locking mechanism. it will be way easier to handle than the stock RE pannier ones. Although one can lock it if needed, but if it is unlocked all you need to do is pull a small steel plate out of the locking and ready to take the box. putting it on is similarly easy. takes hardly 5 seconds. no fiddling with any screws or whatever inside or outside, when the final prototype is ready I will make a video.

added a second stabilizer, just to avoid any rattling noises. the first one is strong enough to hold a loaded box.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 12.58.06_6b5c7d34.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 12.58.06_6b5c7d34.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 17
Great simple design, but a piece of foam at the back of the brackets would keep it pushed on the 2 locking pieces stopping any rattles.

Great simple design, but a piece of foam at the back of the brackets would keep it pushed on the 2 locking pieces stopping any rattles.
great idea, great minds think alike LOL - I did exactly that. the foam I have now is a bit too thin, but i have ordered thicker one for the next version.

Waiting for the OEM carrier for the 450. Should be easy to adapt. However they seem to be very hard to get

That would be good to sell as a fitting kit ,so other boxes could be used, easier on the postage too.

That would be good to sell as a fitting kit ,so other boxes could be used, easier on the postage too.
actually finding a box that fit all the requirements in quality, size and functionality was the issue. and do not underestimate the time it took to get the measurements right for fixing the lower attachments, I had to change the design 4 times until it fit perfectly. I guess most people just want the boxes and slap them on ... :cool:

Regarding solidity of the material. here is a picture of the famous "Krauser Koffer" for the BMW which are now sold under the BMW label itself. This is my own BMW R 1100 R and I own these panniers since 2000, so for 24 years. They are LESS stable than the panniers I am making.

Attachments

• krauser koffer.jpg
    krauser koffer.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 22
We have a GS1150 and a R 1100s and the boxes are good with a catch and slots for the pannier to sit in to sit in , but do fall off in a spill. However your design has stainless steel channels and a locking piece with tried and tested pucks in each bottom corner of the pannier, which would be substantially stronger. Especially if you put extra large washers for the puck and a matching size plate for the channel inside.

Especially if you put extra large washers for the puck and a matching size plate for the channel inside.
Did put a steel plate of the same 1.2mm material inside, if only for the longer part. the other smaller one is only for stabilizing, simple washers will do there. The pucks are the "breaking points" should a severe accident happen. Easy to replace - and as opposed to RE I do make them available as spares :cool:

The set of boxes I fitted to my KTM 990 Adv had round pucks with a steel bar to hold them. Trouble is ,there has to be a weak point ,otherwise the pannier rack or worse the frame would be damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Back