Adjustable Cam Chain Sprocket

Would you Buy this Sprocket so as to be Sure of your Valve Timing?

• Yes, I think it is required.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No, I'm happy with the OEM "hit or miss" system.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dool

Backyard Bodger
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
The Greater the Interest, the Better the chance of it happening ;) IMG_20230419_232408_resized_20230703_083315096.jpg

Explain why Valve timing is necessary or the Sprocket itself?

When the Cam is installed the Crankshaft is set to TDC, then the Cam is set to wherever the Chain wants it to be.
Adjustment is then just 1 tooth ie 5mm movement as that is the length of one link.
So your option is either Advanced or Retarded but never spot on.

When the Cam is installed the Crankshaft is set to TDC, then the Cam is set to wherever the Chain wants it to be.
Adjustment is then just 1 tooth ie 5mm movement as that is the length of one link.
So your option is either Advanced or Retarded but never spot on.
you would have to quantify that to make sense - 5mm of what total length? so the maximum deviation is then 2.5mm in either direction?
and that is supposed to make a perceivable difference? without quantifying it further (the big picture) that makes little sense.

also: it may help in the decision process to know what monetary investment is likely necessary. If it is 50 bucks - sure, if it is 250 bucks - fuck no!

Cam chain has 5mm links so that is the increment of adjustment.
You can go backwards or forwards by one link, that is the timing adjustment available with a Fixed Cam Sprocket.
J series has adjustable Cam sprocket and a physical lock point to determine TDC therfore it can be Timed correctly.

what is the J series?
also: adjustable sprocket means it can move if the adjustment is not properly fixed, which could be catastrophic.

the 350 is the J series, if you watch the video on the Cam change you will notice many differences between the LS410 and the 350(J series).
Firstly the Clutch cover has to be removed to get to the TDC!
Tappet Cover is 1 piece and is the top cover and only a Cover! it does not hold down the Camshaft
Camshaft is held down by 4 bolts and has 1 bearing less than a Himalayan/Scram without the outer bearing the Chain is easier to get on and off.
what is the J series?
also: adjustable sprocket means it can move if the adjustment is not properly fixed, which could be catastrophic.
Movement would be minimal and Locked in when Timed.

About the Price, what is the cost is an incorrectly dialed in Performance Cam?
Answer,,,
Performance is lost or potential not reached, therefor as long as the Sprocket doesn't cost more than the Cam, it is Cheap :ROFLMAO:

at 9:25 he says: I have a little bit of slack here, which I need to take up.
how is that different from the 5mm slack the LS410 has?

Because he can take up the Slack while both the Cam and Crankshaft are LOCKED IN POSITION.
When we take up the Slack, it pulls the Cam backwards because the Cam is not Locked and the sprocket has no adjustment!

About the Price, what is the cost is an incorrectly dialed in Performance Cam?
Answer,,,
Performance is lost or potential not reached, therefor as long as the Sprocket doesn't cost more than the Cam, it is Cheap :ROFLMAO:
You could actually rework the current sprocket and create slots in it for adjustments!

I'd say a "curved slots" with +/-3mm of adjustments should be enough to compensate for any play within one tooth slack!

I would slot also the positioning pin hole, creating a precise slot for the dowel to move into, this way you could compensate for the lack of third bolt!

@Dool what do you say?

I am not sure of the final product, previously I saw a prototype that had 3 bolts.
However it is accomplished is okay by me, I just want to be able Dial in the correct position so I can be sure of getting the most from the Cam.
Regardless of cost I am getting 2 as I can see the advantages and can handle being Robinson Crusoe:cool:
A one handed Clock is a pretty accurate way of telling the Time but 2 hands is better.
The Poll is just for fun as I know about Leading Horses to water.

Anyhow I like A LOT how the new J platform has been designed!

Even if cam has only 2 journals instead of 3, the ability to rotate the engine manually with everything fixed in place (cam cage), the ease of tappet adjustment with the whole upper part of the head off, the ability to lock the piston and the cam @TDC is all very handy!

I don't like that you have to remove the engine cover to fit the piston lock (it implies you have to change the oil for the cam installation...) but one cannot have everything!

About HMC, I wonder if those extra 5 ponies are real on the the J engine and how did they compensate for fuel... FuelX?

FuelX would be my guess.
Certainly the J series is an update on the LS410.
I would buy a Hunter 350 but having 2 Himalayans already I can not justify it.
Maybe just a Hunter Tank on a Himalayan and then the Bullet Headlight Nacel.
Would have done a few oil changes if one was required every time a Cam was changed.

@sam2019 since you got feet on the ground, do you know if they will reuse the J-platform basis for a bored out factory version?

There was a rumor floating in the air about a possible new 500cc version based on a bored out J platform... The idea was based on the fact that the J-platform (engine but also chassis) seems overengineered for the small 350...

A perfectly squared engine 86x86 would sits nicely at 500cc and we know (thanks to @Dool) it can make some serious power...

I have no idea and neither has the local dealership. that is not surprising. usually the press gets wind before the dealers get any info

Back