Sasa from Italy

Sasa

Mediocre pilot - Average mechanic - Crazy tinkerer
Staff member
Developer
477 Owner
Most of you already know me as Sasa, short for Salvatore.

I started riding at 16 when I bought my first proper bike (after a couple of year of scooter) with the money from a summer job. It was the most sought after bike for any teenager, the might Cagiva Mito 7 speed Eddie Lawson replica, a 125cc two stroke crotch rocket! I loved that bike so much and I regret a lot selling that when I moved to Rome to go to the university!

After that I had an Aprilia Pegaso 650, a good everyday donkey, and then a Suzuki SV650S. Once I sold that I had a pretty long hiatus from bikes until I visited India in 2014... I went to Ladakh on an organized trip and fell in love with the classic 500 and bullets I saw slowly goating their way up the Khardung La pass, so when I came back to Rome I went to a RE dealer to test ride the classic 500 (still the best looking bike around IMHO) but the agricultural nature of the engine and the short gear ratio put out my enthusiasm immediately. The bike was clearly designed for indian roads and I wasn't ready yet to embrace the "ride slow" philosophy. So I jumped into the "cafè race" scene, looking for a bike to restore/transform and I stumbled upon a Moto Guzzi V65. I've always been a tinkerer by nature, so I decided, even though I had very little experience, that an air cooled engine was easy enough to dismantle completely and put back together... Things quickly got out of hands as I was changing/repairing/redesigning more and more parts on that bike. Long story short after 18 months I finished my project with more than 35 bespoke parts, designed and machined from billet aluminum. And the bike started the first push of a button, dumb luck I'd say...
Unfortunately, although the Guzzi engine was incredible, that wasn't the bike for me or, rather, for my back. So I sold it.
I then bought a BMW F650GS (800cc twin engine) 10th anniversary edition. I was under the myth of GS, and that was the only one I could afford. Nice bike and all, I sold it after 3 months and 3000kms. I couldn't stand the fact that even the easiest task, like changing sparks, had to be performed using a uber-special and mighty german special tool, that costed 150€ to an average Joe like me.
I had heard of the Himalayan and I liked the concept very much, although I knew it was going to be letargic. I test ride it and I loved it, although the "letargicness" was there.
So I sourced a second hand 2020 model and started browsing for performance upgrade, when I stumbled upon the 477 kit and HT.

From there on the story is pretty much known to everyone, didn't like the original map for the red box (it knocked very heavily in any conditions) so I decided I had to study to set things right. My background as aerospace engineer helped a lot so here we are...

The pictures show the evolution of my first "project" bike, the Guzzi that lost 50kgs in the process... Hopefully soon I'll upload the picture of the Himalayan "feather" project...

Attachments

• 4A5BEA60-288F-40B6-8B32-87567DA5EA33-708-000000AB515C4983.JPG
    4A5BEA60-288F-40B6-8B32-87567DA5EA33-708-000000AB515C4983.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-0100.JPG
    IMG-0100.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG-2207.JPG
    IMG-2207.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG-2203.JPG
    IMG-2203.JPG
    998.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG-2228.JPG
    IMG-2228.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG-2665.JPG
    IMG-2665.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG-0644.JPG
    IMG-0644.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 76
Looking at the first pic I can see why someone would want to change it. 2nd pic reminds me of my Benelli Quattro 627cc, the Cast Iron Discs did not like being left in the rain. Skipping the 3rd pic I see 4th and 5th show how an Airplane engine got severely butchered and had a gear box attached ( now I understand the 3rd pic!) then put into a motorcycle .
Pic 7 has me wondering if you have experimented with Lithium Batteries before. :unsure:

Looking at the first pic I can see why someone would want to change it. 2nd pic reminds me of my Benelli Quattro 627cc, the Cast Iron Discs did not like being left in the rain. Skipping the 3rd pic I see 4th and 5th show how an Airplane engine got severely butchered and had a gear box attached ( now I understand the 3rd pic!) then put into a motorcycle .
Pic 7 has me wondering if you have experimented with Lithium Batteries before. :unsure:
Yes I did experiment with lithium before. The whole "triangle" underneat the saddle was the battery compartment and to clean that I had to relocate the battery within the frame, underneath the tank! The stock battery I guess came straight from a truck, it was a 12Ah, if filled the whole area and weighted a ton! The bike was an ex police bike, with provision for lamps and sirens. The wiring loom had been butchered by the previous owner so the only way was to rewire the thing from ground up! As I said it took me 18 months to complete but it went from 220+kg to barely 170kg...

50 kg is a lot to shave off,
To say it looked different at the end wouldn't give it enough credit :cool:
You certainly Stamped it.
Wiring was done to what switchgear, my Benelli had crappy switches, and fuses:confused:

50 kg is a lot to shave off,
To say it looked different at the end wouldn't give it enough credit :cool:
You certainly Stamped it.
Wiring was done to what switchgear, my Benelli had crappy switches, and fuses:confused:
I used a Motogadget M-unit (not cheap but extremely well made) that acted both as fuse box, power distribution and switch set.
Switches at the handlebar were machined from billet aluminum with momentarily black push buttons! Also triple clamps and footpegs and foot commands were bespoke unit cad designed by me.

Attachments

• 7D50C835-2D5B-4C19-BF64-14E85C59E550.jpeg
    7D50C835-2D5B-4C19-BF64-14E85C59E550.jpeg
    850.6 KB · Views: 88
Are you sure🤔 the switch gear looks alien, I have never seen switch gear like this, you turned a Pigs Ear into a Silk Purse.
No visible wires to the Alien switches.

Last edited:
Are you sure🤔 the switch gear looks alien, I have never seen switch gear like this, you turned a Pigs Ear into a Silk Purse.
No visible wires to the Alien switches.

Wires run into the handlebar, a true pain to install them!
Also you had to remember which switch does what, but I aimed for a very clean aesthetic and I have a good memory! 🤣

Did the subsequent owner appreciate the uniqueness of the Build?

Did the subsequent owner appreciate the uniqueness of the Build?
Unfortunately no. He liked the bike but he never realized how many hours (and money) had gone into it.

I first made the bike to submit it to bikeexif.com as a proper showcase, but they didn't appreciate it either or they didn't appreciate my pictures, so...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
That you did the build is your reward, what other people see is up to them ultimately.
This world is full of Sheep after all;)

Back