Piston Rings Question

Csx355

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
Hi all - I have now received my piston rings and am just beginning to do some pre- assembly work. I have two compression rings labelled N and N1 and the oil scraper set. Is there a prescribed order to fit them to the piston? The oil scraper set is obvious and I’m guessing N at the top and N1 in the middle. Also the preferred spacing for the gaps of the compression rings would be useful to save me guessing. My plan is to fit the piston to the barrel with one clip as per the video and then lower the pair onto the con rod. In the past I’ve fitted the piston to the con rod and then slid the barrel down easing the rings into the bore. The video makes sense avoiding the danger of damaging rings. Will this work with my N M W piston? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Also what should I gap the rings to in the bore pre fitting? Currently N is 11 thou and N1 is 15 thou. Measured 20 mm into the bottom of the bore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
I think too tight!
Let me size a set here, and check the N N1.

Both with Writing up! and shiny one at the Top
I get 13 thou and 16 with my Kit
Oil Ring Spacer should be Ends up and Butt Up!
IMG_20230701_221345.jpg.

Brilliant thank you suitably gapped and fitted, N1 in the middle and N with the shiny edge at the top. I gather the gaps should be at 180’ on the piston ? Fore and aft or side to side? Side to side makes sense to me.

About 10 and 2 on the Clock, keep the Oil rings away from the oil hole at front and back of skirt.
Oil Ring Spacer around 9 or 3, ends up!

Back