Hefty inflation in RE spare prices

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
After prices had been more or less stable over 4 years until the end of 2021 RE is now rising the prices for spares in some cases by 25%. The carrier, something almost everyone wants, used to be 2500 INR, now 3800 INR. The pannier set used to be 28.000 (which is costly enough for India) now 35.000.

I did not really follow spare prices in the small parts department so much but my guess is unbeknownst to me those had been rising as well.

I used to have a pricelist for 90% of the parts RE offers but I guess I can scrap that.

For me personally the falling of the Euro against the INR from 89 to 83 is another factor that makes life miserable for a dealer.

OK, its not Russia (yet) but its bad enough

The situation is much worse than I thought. I recently ordered a bunch of parts to rebuild an old BS3 2016 Hima. As usual I just ordered them without checking the prices (I had ordered all of this before so I had a certain amount in my mind) - however surprise surprise - the bill was about 100% ABOVE what I expected and some parts where over 100%. A swing arm was 3200 INR - now 7000, a frame 12,000 - now 20,000 etc.
Of course Ranjeet took the opportunity to also raise the price for work - and also in the 100% range.
Rebuilding older bikes has become untenable as business model unless one does it the Indian way (just repaint the old stuff with a spray can).

The situation is much worse than I thought. I recently ordered a bunch of parts to rebuild an old BS3 2016 Hima. As usual I just ordered them without checking the prices (I had ordered all of this before so I had a certain amount in my mind) - however surprise surprise - the bill was about 100% ABOVE what I expected and some parts where over 100%. A swing arm was 3200 INR - now 7000, a frame 12,000 - now 20,000 etc.
Of course Ranjeet took the opportunity to also raise the price for work - and also in the 100% range.
Rebuilding older bikes has become untenable as business model unless one does it the Indian way (just repaint the old stuff with a spray can).
Adapting an old say: when in India do like the Indians do...

Back