contemplating 477 but then why not go 500

Kiwiscoot

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
Well the 2018 carby Himma has run well for 40 000kms with the last 10 000kms on a HT-b cam. Would love to go to a 16 tooth front sprocket but I need torque for the Southern Alps. So as k's on engine goes up it may well need a big service, clutch plates & cam chain, etc. replaced. With the work involved in that, why not go big bore. OK 477 will slot in but hey for only 2mm to remove why not go 500, not that much more work to have power about what the new 452 will have. that's sort of what my though train is, but question is,

1.)after mods can the 500 be converted back to standard? enough meat left on case for a standard jug n gasket?
2.) how will 500 go vs 477 with standard exhaust? I don't really want to change exhaust at this stage. My airbox has been opened up

at 40.000 your timing chain is due (in a carby at 30.000 - the BS4 has 50.000 until change)
1.) is irrelevant - if you buy the 500 set you get the cylinder and piston - changing back is no problem if you keep the old cylinder
2.) nobody I know runs the 477 or 500 with standard exhaust. so My guess would be it will hinder the flow and make the upgrade less effective. Good exhausts here are under 100 euro (Powerage) so relatively cheap compared to the rest.

I want to order a 477 but I want a 16 tooth sprocket and a new cam chain too. When will you get the 16 tooth sprocket? Can you supply a new cam chain too? would save on shipping cost to get the whole lot in one go. Shipping to New Zealand is not cheap. Cheers Paul

If with "you" you mean me - while I do have one 16 sprocket left to go with a set (and a timing chain and clutch plates) - I do not have a new 477 set. The new ones are not due before the end of the year. I could only provide a 500 set. But I am pretty sure Dool has one 477 set left.
I could only offer you a used set - check rehbay for that please:

Last edited:
Back