What is a puller?

Dool

Backyard Bodger
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
This is an interesting thread- I DID get a Himalayan with a blown engine for free. It isn't a wreck (well, I don't think so...) but as well as a new barrel and head it needs all the wearing parts replaced plus a bit more- chain, sprockets, fork seals, tyres, handlebars, some wiring that got chewed by rats...
80,000INR = AU$1300 which is quite a bit less than what I expect to spend to get my bike running and registered.
At this point it's just an estimate, but it will be interesting to compare.
I have no real idea what a rebuilt Himalayan with 50,000km is worth in Australia as I have found no others with similar mileage for sale.
Tell me about the Puller, was it a RE job ?

Tell me about the Puller, was it a RE job ?
It's a cheaper puller from India that I got through eBay. AU$21 including postage and isn't identical to the puller shown in the RE parts book but it worked OK.
The cone that's supposed to centre the puller bolt in the end of the crankshaft is too short, so the flat face of the bolt bears on the end of the crank and the end thread got slightly crushed. I can deal with that but I'm going to have to modify the the bolt before I use it again.

I'll take a photo and post it, but it's a lesson in the pitfalls of trying to be too cheap!
It fits the threads on the rotor and it worked perfectly well, but I assume the genuine RE puller wouldn't flatten the crank thread.

It's a cheaper puller from India that I got through eBay. AU$21 including postage and isn't identical to the puller shown in the RE parts book but it worked OK.
The cone that's supposed to centre the puller bolt in the end of the crankshaft is too short, so the flat face of the bolt bears on the end of the crank and the end thread got slightly crushed. I can deal with that but I'm going to have to modify the the bolt before I use it again.

I'll take a photo and post it, but it's a lesson in the pitfalls of trying to be too cheap!
It fits the threads on the rotor and it worked perfectly well, but I assume the genuine RE puller wouldn't flatten the crank thread.
Must have a look for one, thanks for the heads up

I had a quick look on eBay and was unsuccessful , I have seen instances where a fork leg or some other metric (and Fine ) threaded object was used with ingenuity and mostly a Hammer!

Back