Tripper Nav

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
10. September 2021, 16:59

In German "Tripper" is colloquial for "Gonorrhoea" and of course the jokes about this gimmick are aimed at that. Its not quite as annoying as a real STD - but close.
Nobody loves the app either - with a 2.6 evaluation (out of 5) its worse than the average spam loaded selfie app: tripper app
Some are erroneously assuming the tripper instrument has something to do with a GPS receiver - no sir, that would be too much a step up from the COMPASS - it is ONLY a display that displays what google maps would show you in much more useful detail ON YOUR PHONE. But it needs your phone, and google maps, so it has all the weaknesses of google maps, e.g. it fails without good internet connection and is SLOW.
You are a very small amount of money and 10 minutes installation time away from a real GPS in the shape of your mobile in a mobile holder mounted to your handlebar (or elsewhere in sight).
Finally is it at least useful? well, no. Even if you do not consider the time it takes to link it to your mobile and then make sure your mobile stays within reach of the Bluetooth - in a semi critical situation, e.g. the road splits in two in a small angle (happens in cities all the time) the arrow will not show you which one to take - so you are again dependent on other means of making the decision (ask a pedestrian?). But that is so stupid - so get the 20 bucks holder and be done with this clownery of Royal enfield's "we need to mark up the bike, lets add something shiny but useless...".
The connection is via Bluetooth and reportedly at times the tripper display looses it in tunnels - which means full stop, switch the engine off, then on again and re-initialize this glorious device.
OK, one good use it DOES have - the display of the TIME in the speedo is too small for me - the Tripper -if not connected to a gps- shows the time much bigger. if it could display system voltage and maybe even the oil temperature - whow - but let's not go overboard, this is Royal Enfield where spineless brainless creativity-devoid idiots with only one goal in mind - profit optimization - make the design choices.

One out of 5 stars - for time display

A High Tech version of their Compass ? which neither gives good directions nor tells the Time ;) At least they didnt go backwards ?
The few times I use my Quad Lock Phone holder I run Waze and it is fkn good enough.

Back