Tired of pushing - fuel sender

thony

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
OK guys, if you look at these images, how can I (where on the unit and what to buy/do) adjust resistance (I believe) in order to make my fuel gauge in my aftermaket speedo read the fuel level properly?

Current speedo has a setting for 100, 250 and 1200 which I guess has to do with tanks capacity. If I set it at 100 the bars on the display dissapear after a few km, if I leave it at 250 (omhs I guess it is) it stops counting bars after 4 bars which represents about half a tank.

So my basic understanding takes me to add an extra resistor somewhere in the unit or I was thinking I could just bend the buoy a bit just as you use to do in old toilet system in order to make read stock resistance a bit better.

1672083024848.png

1672088858876.png

1672083103530.png

1672083125130.png

Last edited:
and I would love to know the answer to that too. since all of my bikes have 20 litre tanks my fuel gauge shows empty when there are 6 or so litres left. I would love to re-tune that to 2 litres.

Now I see why you enquired about the Jerry Can :) How far advanced we have come and we now do not have a reserve selection on our motorcycle fuel tap and no tap even :( gotta Love EFI :ROFLMAO:

No just Submissive :( I give up and " Go With The Flow", it's easier;)

OK guys, this could be a less hassle option for aftermarket speedos like me: https://www.lskelectronics.com/store/FuelGaugePro-Universal-Sending-Unit-p286978985

It would need wiring into Himas with stock unit speedo (I predict real pain unless you purchase another unit with this kit, which is redundant of your stock speedo has a big display unit.

This sheds some light on what is needed to adjust ohms, if this gadget works at a wider range of ohms it is a resistor what is needed to adjust either stock with 25l tank or mine.

Last edited:
HYDROSTATIC, does it work with fuel at rest or under pressure.

HYDROSTATIC, does it work with fuel at rest or under pressure.
it just means the pressure a liquid asserts by means of gravity. E.g. if you dive the deeper you go the higher the hydrostatic pressure.
but wait a minute, as of the pictures they provide this only works with free flow tanks, not with fuel pumps as in the BS4 and newer models.

@thony don't waste your money, you'd destroy the unit at the first turn of the key!

Like Peter and Sam pointed out, that is meant for older bike with free flowing tanks (carby bike) which had not any mean to verify fuel level!
With EFI bike and their high pressure pumps the readings would be useless, provided that the unit survives the pressure!

theoretically he could bore an opening and install it on the lowest point under the tank - just a wild idea.
Then it is independent of the pump pressure.

theoretically he could bore an opening and install it on the lowest point under the tank - just a wild idea.
Then it is independent of the pump pressure.
Yeah, but then again is it worth the hassle?

A Dipstick would be more useful and cost less :giggle:

A Dipstick would be more useful and cost less :giggle:
it would certainly be less useful. unless you dip stick it while you are driving :cool:
which would require the key - so nope. not useful at all. actually the hole is easily made - the question is more how to fix that sensor to the tank metal - fuel resistant glue? I would not do it for the stock tank but for our big tanks it may be a solution.

:eek:

I won't do this, probably safest bet is an independent unit wired into the fuel cable of the Hima. Koso has one that needs to be connected to battery.

This one has a wider ohms range, in fact the closest measure being 180 ohms.

Last edited:
Back