Himalayan ratling noise

stormy

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
Hi everybody ,
I am looking to identify a ratling noise that appear in low rpm between 2000 and 4000 .
My bike as completed 1500 km with the big bore kit .
Valve clearence is ok , timing chain tensioner look ok but still have this noise coming from the low engine part .
Oil level is ok and bike is running properly .
Wondering is somebody on the forum have any ideas ( clutch , pump chain , bearing … )

Thank ✌️

can you make a video and upload it to Youtube? rattling is a bit generic, I'd like to hear it.

stormy, it is noisy but as I am not twisting the throttle and holding my ear to it at the same time I am at a disadvantage.
Does the noise?, start straight away on start up, does it vary with Load/revs.

I would rule out the Oil Pump chain it is a "Wifes Tale" :D

Looks like a disassembly might be in order, have you got an USB borescope ? might see some thing looking through the spark plug hole.

I see you have 1 video uploaded, and a subscriber;)

I hear it and I do not recognize it. I have forwarded it to our chief mechanic, maybe he can help. will update ...

Yes hard to tell in video .
Today i have track the sound with a screwdriver plug into my ear …
I think the noise come from the head , near the cam .
Valve clearence has been done but nothing change

stormy, it is noisy but as I am not twisting the throttle and holding my ear to it at the same time I am at a disadvantage.
Does the noise?, start straight away on start up, does it vary with Load/revs.

I would rule out the Oil Pump chain it is a "Wifes Tale" :D

Looks like a disassembly might be in order, have you got an USB borescope ? might see some thing looking through the spark plug hole.

I see you have 1 video uploaded, and a subscriber;)
The noise start straight away.
It appear between 2000 and 4000 rpm mostly .
After that, the bike is reving normally and the sound is cover by the engine i guess

Do you have a cam with decompression? If there was something wrong with it it would make sense that the centrifugal force would make it quieter at higher revs.

Yesterday night i have open the engine to see what is going on ….
I found that the timing chain guide was in the wrong position
Here a picture of the guide ( left guide ) .

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
Also i have found that the HT bobine was shaking due to a loose screw

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
Today the noise has dissapper due to the timing chain guide replaced .
Also here a picture of the piston and barrel after 1500 km .
Look like there is some black grooves , don’t know if i need to worry .

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0594.jpeg
    IMG_0594.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0603.jpeg
    IMG_0603.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
Yesterday night i have open the engine to see what is going on ….
I found that the timing chain guide was in the wrong position
Here a picture of the guide ( left guide ) .
It fitted! but not as Intended ;)
How many Kms has the Cam chain done and did the Marks line up good?
The HT Coil doesent need Earthing DAMHIK

ok, details? did you do a writeup about your bike somewhere? it seems it runs rich to say the least. so you cleaned the piston?

Y
It fitted! but not as Intended ;)
How many Kms has the Cam chain done and did the Marks line up good?
The HT Coil doesent need Earthing DAMHIK
Yes it‘s fit and work like that … 😄
Concerning the cam chain , the mark is still line up , not perfect but enought i guess .
i will change the chain in some kilometers to be sure. i mean i keep this in a corner of my brain …

Last edited:
Also the noise is still present .
Yesterday i was conviced it dissapear but i was wrong ( oil change maybe reduce it ).

Here a more explicit video

that sharp clicking sound seems to be gone if you ask me. any 477 is louder than a stock engine.
what ecu are you running?
The picture indicates that the piston seized at least for a short moment. That is not good and if the rings got damaged in the process I would consider a new rimgset and possibly re-honing. Why did it seize? worng break in? wrong oil? Not enough oil? running too lean and overheating? Only you can know.

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpeg
    IMG_0603.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Im not sure about a seizure, it has got hot there, the Valve Timing has been out of spec for at least the time since installation of the Cam Chain guide and it may have damaged the Tensioner as well, that noise is Piston slap in part I think.
When you reved it the result didnt seem crisp, was it warmed up?

that sharp clicking sound seems to be gone if you ask me. any 477 is louder than a stock engine.
what ecu are you running?
The picture indicates that the piston seized at least for a short moment. That is not good and if the rings got damaged in the process I would consider a new rimgset and possibly re-honing. Why did it seize? worng break in? wrong oil? Not enough oil? running too lean and overheating? Only you can know.

Yes louder but still have this very unsual sound .
Breaking has been made with attention , 3500/4000 rpm max , oil change at 500 and 1200 km , warming the bike etc …

Im not sure about a seizure, it has got hot there, the Valve Timing has been out of spec for at least the time since installation of the Cam Chain guide and it may have damaged the Tensioner as well, that noise is Piston slap in part I think.
When you reved it the result didnt seem crisp, was it warmed up?

Tensioner is in good condition and valve has no issue as well , perfect conditions.
Look like the piston is slapping …

Back