Hima model 2021 vs. 2022 or "is tripper worth it"

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
12. September 2021, 17:46
In India its already a done deal, you cant get a new Hima without tripper. But in the USA and other countries these are sold as "2022" models and the customer still has a choice (for a limited time, until the 2022s are the only choice!)

Which one would I choose? Without any hesitation the 2021 model WITHOUT tripper. Not so much because I do not like this gimmick (I actually don't care and do not plan to use it - other than as timepiece) - but there are other considerations:

• The new throttle body with attached ECU with integrated TPS makes it hard to construct a piggyback or replacement ECU that is as functional as the previous ones because by design they can not calculate with the TPS data (those are inaccessible to them)
  • Any alternative windshield will NOT fit - because the new instrument panel is wider and the windshield had to be adapted
  • Specific moddings like the "street version" will not fit because they also rely on the old version's width.
  • Any attachment to the sideframes will not fit because these have been redesigned and previously possible attachments and screws to fix e.g. extra fuel cans or bags or such - won't fit anymore.
  • There are literally no upgrades to this bike that make it a better bike over the previous version - and because stricter emission norms (BS6 equals Euro5) the already low power had to be reduced again, albeit only by a small amount.
  • The ONLY advantage this model has is a few more color options.

I am unfortunately forced to purchase the 2022 version as we need one testbed for ECU updates and possible other add-ons but I am not too happy about it.

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
Update to that year-old post: tripper is now gone from ALL models that previously featured it due to lack of chips from Taiwan at the factory (I was told).

Dool

Backyard Bodger
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
The loss of the Tripper is a plus for Himalayan owners and the World IMO but the reason behind it should be a concern for us all, our favorite supplier is located in the wrong place perhaps:unsure: