Clutch Noise

Dool

Backyard Bodger
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
My second Bike the 443 has original Clutch Plates with the German Springs and has just recently started "Grunt" sometimes( probably when cold) when released.
It is under an increased Load what with the extra Torque it produces so now I am debating ( by myself :) ) whether to fit new plates as well.

So nobody else has experienced this Fault??

A customer of mine who bought the Cam and FuelX had a much louder case of this, I replaced his plates and fitted 3 German Springs, now I am going to contact him and ask if the Noise has gone:)

A customer of mine who bought the Cam and FuelX had a much louder case of this, I replaced his plates and fitted 3 German Springs, now I am going to contact him and ask if the Noise has gone:)
Well, I 'might have'...? I have had this really weird, metallic Grunt? for some time now. I think that it even existed before I'd done any engine modifications, though I can't be sure at this point in time, but I thought that I was the only one because I've never heard anyone else talk about it. I've often wondered just what the noise was, where it emanated from etc., but it sounded as if the engine was seriously in trouble! But it only last's for about 1 second, usually the first clutch Release of the day, and it only happens maybe 1-2 times a month at most. Weird. I now have had the German Springs in for a few months too, but since it happened both before & after I don't consider them a problem, though I have no clue what else could be the cause. I friend and Himalayan owner heard it once and was freaked by it...
Let me know if you figure it out Peter.
Bob

He replied, all good new plates fixed it!
So another little job before the Dyno Run, cant have the clutch let go there, will rob my numbers!

So Peter, I'm curious about this; was this 'grunt' of yours pretty often, or very intermittent like mine was? If it was just on a rare occasion then how do you know that you've solved the problem with the new Plates?? Honestly the fact that this only happened to me on such Rare occasions is why I never had it looked at. I figured that if I told some mechanic about it but then couldn't replicated the Sound or Conditions to make the sound, he'd think I was nuts, so it wouldn't have been fixed anyway. Since this is the first that I've heard anyone else mention it I'd like it to be a simple as the Plates being swapped out...
Bob

"Grunt" has only started in the last week, first release when cold thats all.
The Customers Bike I put down to it being slipped too much by a beginner, this one of mine was previously owned by 2 people, one fitted a side car without reducing the gearing so the clutch would have been slipped there also.
I believe that it is caused by excessive heat generated when slipping the clutch.
I think it would take a while for it to become unusable, just an embarrassing noise.

Changed my mind:) i will change the Plates when they expire or the Noise becomes unbearablešŸ˜

Hmmm, stumbled onto this today when looking for some other advise:
I'll give it a go and see if my 'grunt' goes away; heck it might help finding Neutral too!?

Back