Bike Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
Unfortunately this specific item is worthless. Actually it is kind of dangerous. The installation was easy and the initial lock on to the sensor worked also after some time. I could never figure out how to change from bar to psi but that may have been my fault (I read the manual but its not working the way the manual says it does).

First of all the rear tire showed a suspiciously low pressure of 1.1 bar while the front seemed in the range of possibility (I had not checked the tire pressure before putting in the sensor caps). But then, on a ride of only 25km, the tire pressure began to go down on the rear from 1.1 indicated to 0.9 indicated and a warning flashed.

I stopped at the next air Baba and he showed me below 10 psi on the rear - normal is 32 psi. I swear the tire lost air after the caps where installed but i will re-check tomorrow. In any case after the air Baba filled it with 32 psi which I checked, the instrument again showed only 1.1 bar which is roughly 16 psi.

Something with this margin of error is worthless. On top of this the caps are fixed with a small spanner (included) BUT the actual screw is made of cheap plastic and if one tightens it a bit too hard it will likely not survive repeated loosening (every time you check your air this thing has to come off).

It clearly is a waste of money and if I had purchased it on amazon it would go back - but as it stands I am stuck with it.

OK, the voltage was correct but I already have a voltmeter...

Attachments

• 20220220_160253.jpg
    20220220_160253.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 60
  • mmexport1637041657502.jpg
    mmexport1637041657502.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 62
During my ride today the rear instrument updated from 1.1 bar to 1.7 bar which is still off by 30% but better than what I got yesterday. The tire was not inflated between the two measurements. What this indirectly points at is a VERY slow update cycle for the information from the sensor to the instrument.

Which means if you develop a relatively quick flat like I had a few times thanx to huge nails - it won't have the time to indicate this and raise the alarm until it is too late.

This really makes the entire shebang completely useless.

Which should raise the Question " why does anyone use these TPMS"

Anyhow the unit only checks the Pressure when the Centrivical Switch activates , ie at speed.

Back